Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 04.5 LLY with Edge juice and stock exhaust, stock trannie. It's mostly a daily driver run in 3/5 and occasionally tow about 8000# boat, including trailer. I just installed edge and have not towed with it but can see I'm going to have an EGT problem while towing KY hills, etc.

My question is what exhaust would you recommend for this application? I wouldn't mind a little more rumble, but DO NOT want a drone at highway speeds, also prefer single exit. I'm thinking about turbo back MBRP but just don't know if this would be the way to go for what I'm trying to do. Any insight would be much appreciated including pro/con of cat back vs turbo back....also what will give the best overall sound, but without the drone? I don't mind loud, but don't wat to be driven nuts in the cab. Thanks in advance for the input.;)

·
Registered
702 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
i like my mbrp. no drone. kinda pricey though if you add the front pipe.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I would go with the MBRp cat back kit. This kit will bolt up to the 4 bolt flange giving you the option later to add the front-pipe which will eliminate your catalytic converter. This way you can swap it in and out for dealer visits, possible future emmissions checks etc. Give us a call if you have any questions.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The Volant sounds sweet!:D Did you have any problem with codes without fingerstick, etc?
I already had codes because the EGR was blocked before installing the exhaust. I also had the catless downpipe before the exhaust. It threw a code after I put on the exhaust though, but I cleared it and it never came back. Then I installed the fingerstick.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Pick any 4" that suits your price range and quality of material (aluminized, 409 stainless, 304 stainless). Shoot, some guys just cut out the factory muffler and weld in 3 1/2" pipe there.
Then decide if you want to ditch your cat (if you have one as I'm not sure if you have one, Calif...etc.) which will, of course, up the cost a little more.
As for sound, personally listen to what others have in your area and decide. Biggest differences I've seen go into 3 groups...1) cat or not, 2)muffler or not, 3) not and not :D .

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
cjordan,

Most folks get either the MBRP or the AFE systems when they talk with us. The difference is the MBRP have the one piece tail pipe and the welded hangers while the AFE has clamp on hangers and a lower price. We always reccomend that you get the cat back and leave the cat alone till you see it that gets you enough EGT drop and turbo spool up to fit your needs, if so leave it alone, if not add the front pipe as it will bolt in and allow you to install/remove at will. This is the safest and best method we have found to make sure you get what you need and are still warranty safe. Take a look here to see what other members have chosen:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49763

Call us and we'll be glad to help you on any questions and such, we've been doing it longer and can help you best!

Mark @ DPPI

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.