Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know... I've done a search... I've done the reading, but I'm still wondering about what the concensus is on exhaust mods for my '05 LLY? I want to get rid of the kitty, I want more efficiency, but... more than anything, I don't want to void my warranty. All the augmentations I've done to my truck can probably be UNDONE in about an hour if I have to take 'er in to the stealer. I want to keep it like that. I've read that trashing the cat will void my warranty; but do they actually check to see if it's still there if they don't (I have the Fingerstick) get any codes? I am perfectly willing to go with any recommendations. In a perrrrfect world I would trash the whole ex system and go with a 4" SS sys, but I don't know if I want to be switching systems just to go in for a loose mirror. I agree with a down-pipe from a LB7 or an aftermarket one, but gosh... for a few more bucks I can get a whole bunch more. Plus, I know what a b**** playing with heatrusted flange is. Go ahead, flog away!!! I know I'm sounding like a little spoiled kid who wants it all... but I do!!! As usual... any comments and/or suggestions are accepted and appreciated.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
"but... more than anything, I don't want to void my warranty."

That being said, get a cat-back system. That will, of course, void your muffler warranty.:D It depends on your tastes but you can also just cut out your muffler and straight pipe it.

I might add that I am considering a $70 expense to get a matching 4 inch 304 stainless muffler delete section for my Magnaflow. You can straight pipe the LLY's (yes, even without the cat) and it, IMHO, is still not loud or annoying...except to those outside when you slam the hammer down! :ro)

Tons of options as with anything else...good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Heres what I did. I purchased the MBRP Cat back and the MBRP cat delete pipe, both with the 4 bolt flange. I still have my cat so If need be I can drop the cat delete, reinstall the cat and be on my way to the stealer. The only drawback is if I am out of town because I don't carry my cat around with me I would be SOL.
Rick

·
Registered
174 Posts
The cat pipe is a 5 minute job to change out, rid yourself of the beast, keep it hande for those situations to put back on and have the benfits of both worlds. If lights occur from removing it the finger stick is undetectable if tucked into the loom. With the cat in place the cat back system is a waste of money if your going after a better sounding truck!
There is hardly any change in noise level unless you kiss the kitty fairwell:rippedhan There are far more benifits to getting rid of it!
Lower EGT's
Better economy
Better throttle response
More Power
Need I say more?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
On my 05, I got a MSRB aluminized cat back system, and ran it for a year until I sold the truck. Pulled it off and sold it. Looked like new except for the bracketry. I'm in snow and ice, with a calcium cloride or something like that mix on the roads in winter. Didn't tarnish it. Pulled apart easily on removal. SS is pretty and looks good when you roll your truck and it is laying on it's top or side. (I've done this, but didn't care at the time what people thought of the state of my exhaust system)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Heres what I did. I purchased the MBRP Cat back and the MBRP cat delete pipe, both with the 4 bolt flange. I still have my cat so If need be I can drop the cat delete, reinstall the cat and be on my way to the stealer. The only drawback is if I am out of town because I don't carry my cat around with me I would be SOL.
Rick
:exactly:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Well A Easy Way To Get It All Is With The Corsa Exhaust System Installed By Your Chevy Dealer !!!
It Will Get Rid Of The Cat And Give You A 4 Inch System All The Way To The Tail Pipe.
The Good Part Is It Is Installed And Warranteed By And Thru You Dealer...
They Will Up Date You Trucks Computer To Clear The Codes The Cat Removel Causes..
Take A Look At Corsaperforance.com..

Gl
Arm

·
Registered
326 Posts
Rick
\
I've got 4" cat back exhaust now. What does the cat delete consist of? I was thinking of fabing something out of a front pipe, mwking flanges and stuff. Where does the cat delete bolt to (besides the back pipe). Does it run all the way to the turbo?

·
Registered
60 Posts
For the LLY it has the 4 bolt flange on one end and clamps to the down pipe just like the cat did on the other. Check with some of the vendors here you might find a picture of one.
Rick.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well A Easy Way To Get It All Is With The Corsa Exhaust System Installed By Your Chevy Dealer !!!
It Will Get Rid Of The Cat And Give You A 4 Inch System All The Way To The Tail Pipe.
The Good Part Is It Is Installed And Warranteed By And Thru You Dealer...
They Will Up Date You Trucks Computer To Clear The Codes The Cat Removel Causes..
Take A Look At Corsaperforance.com..

Gl
Arm
Here is the page for the Duramax on the Corsa site
http://www.corsaperf.com/duramax.htm
I don't see anything regarding being approved by GM. Do you know if all GM dealers resell this?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Purchase an LB7 exhaust section to replace the cat. I purchased one for 50 bucks from a local exhaust/muffler store. They were probably going to throw it away. Lowered my EGT by 200* and saved a bunch of money. If you went with a 4" exhaust system you could get about 50-70* more cooling off the turbo. It depends on what you are going to do with your truck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here is the page for the Duramax on the Corsa site
http://www.corsaperf.com/duramax.htm
I don't see anything regarding being approved by GM. Do you know if all GM dealers resell this?
GM dealers can order the Corsa cat-back exhaust from their Parts & Accessories catalog. If you want the front downpipe you need to get that directly from Corsa or one of their dealers. Just received mine and it's in the garage awaiting installation this weekend if the weather is decent. I'll write on my install when done.

Stu

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing I am sure of... Duramax owners are the BEST! The hell with those turd owners. Thanks for the responses and imput! -Ken, aka: dorseltip

·
Registered
682 Posts
down pipe

For the LLY it has the 4 bolt flange on one end and clamps to the down pipe just like the cat did on the other. Check with some of the vendors here you might find a picture of one.
Rick.
your dealer can order the down pipe with the rest of the exhaust and install it with the rest of the corsa system..

arm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.