Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at the turbo exhaust, it appears the biggest bottle neck is the down pipe. Idle_chatter accurately explained the difference between the down pipe and all of the exhaust kits for us, but does anyone have any DATA with regard to exhaust performance for all of those kits out there ?????

Looking for any information about reduced EGT's (either in the exhaust manifold or after the turbo) or reduced exhaust back pressure results .... Or, if you have any data about the stock exhaust system after removing the muffler. I have read about several guys doing the ol' mufflerectomy on their trucks.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I did the mufflerectomy on my truck, cut out the factory muffler and welded in a 4" Magnaflow stainless straight-through in the factory 3-1/2" pipes. I had installed my gauges prior to the muffler swap and I saw EGTs go down a solid 100 to 150 degrees all across the rpm and load ranges with the Magnaflow installed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone have any straight pipe data ????? If I keep the factory 3.5" stuff, I would probably straight pipe it instead of putting on an aftermarket muffler.

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Well according to the data acquired with my Sotp Mark V Street Dyno adding the 4" system increased the throttle response. I seem to have lost a kitty at the same time though. i'd shy away from the strait pipe myself, a little to raspy for me.

Tom, did you have that muffler in when we were in GR? If so it is quiet, if I remember right. I did have a lot of Juice that weekend. Mike Tomac has a pretty good set up too. I mean it must work great, good enough to break the dyno...don't think you'll live that one down Mike...
I know Mike posted the part # for the muffler he runs somewhere around here...

Ox

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Yep, had it on there Ox, I swapped mufflers in December of 2002. It is very mellow sounding, does produce a bit of resonance drone at around 1500 rpm but it falls right off either side of that one point. That's around 43 mph in OD and I rarely stay right at that "spot" for long. I've been very happy with the setup!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
mnstr_fx,

Depending on the mods you have or will do to your truck you can see as much as 250+ degrees reduction. The average will be around 200 more or less,those higher numbers are for those folks that have a "REALLY" hot set up. You will also get a better spool up on the turbo, possible MPG gains, and have the truck equipped so you can use the power you have from other mods instead of worring about high egts all the time. By the way we INCLUDE the piping from under the firewall all the way back to the 5 inch tip, most of our competitors only bolt on at the 4 bolt flange that's at the rear end of the transmission, we found extra HP and more EGT reduction by adding this extra section standard in our systems. Call us if you have any questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
my banks added 50 hp, 100ft-lbs of torque and cut EGTs in half

1 - 8 of 8 Posts