Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my truck chipped and need to upgrade the exhaust to get the lower EGT's. I don't tow that much, just a boat, so I don't think I need to go to the 4" setup and spend the extra $$$ when a new muffler in the stock system will work just fine. I've been looking for racing mufflers that are pretty much a straight pipe, but offer a little sound dampening. My question is, for those that have done this, what have you used, where did you get it, how much $$, and how's the sound? I'm leaning towards a dynomax bullet race muffler, but still looking for other options.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
A turbo diesel aint as loud as you would think.....check out my sig, if I had a gasser I would be deaf

If you go with a striaght through muffler with an offset in/out it will flow just a hair less than straight in/out yet be quieter than a center in/out inlet/outlet(talking the dynomax ultraflows and mufflers like em)

I was strongly considereing just swapping to a spintech www.spintechmufflers.com since i liked em on my gasser but decided to go full exhaust. I dont know how they would sound on a diesel anyway? Maybe you could be a guinne pig?
I talked to Ron at spintech and he set me staright and was extreamly honest and helpfull with selecting a muffler to sound how i wanted it to. I cant say enough good about his help and customer service. Dynomax makes good stuff to though and i have had good luck with em.

My recomendation would be to rig up a section to straight pipe your truck(I bet if someone made a prebent slip fit section of pipe and some clamps they could make a killing
) and if you dont like it/ its too loud then buy a muffler. Unless you dont want it much louder than stock inside or outside, then go straight to a muff. My truck is pretty quiet inside with the windows up but outside it gets noisy when i get on it.
Edited by: ratlover

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
the dynomax bullet is no quieter than a straight pipe

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I put a 4" Magnaflow 20" stainless straight-through muffler into my stock system and have been very happy with it. Muffler was something like $170 and I bought two 3.5"x4" adapters for $15 each. I band-clamped the adapters into the muffler, cut out the factory muffler, fit up and tack welded the Magnaflow in place and then unclamped and removed the system in three pieces for final welding and reinstallation with clamps on both ends of the muffler.

Edited by: Idle_Chatter

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help. I went with the straight pipe today. Used a 4" section and clamped it onto the 3.5" stock pipes right by the hangers. I just used clamps to put it into place for right now and then sealed it up with some muffler paste.

Here are my impressions. At idle, no difference over stock. Light acceleration, no difference over stock, although you can definitely hear the turbo whine. Mild acceleration definitely louder than stock, real good turbo whine, but not bad at all. Hard acceleration starts to get a little bit loud, but nothing outrageous. Once you are at whatever speed you want to get to, whether 45, 55, 65, or 75, can't tell a difference from stock.

All these impressions are from inside the cab. As others have stated, might be very loud to bystanders.

Hopefully the wife will be good with this, as I like it
!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wife has no problems with the exhaust
. We were having a conversation in the truck and I asked her again about the exhaust and she hesitated because she couldn't tell the difference.

Once again, though, from inside the truck, not bad at all. There is definitely more noise from the exhaust under acceleration, but once you get to your speed, no problems.

Outside the truck is a different story. Definitely making noise, but I'm not too worried about that.

Some helpful hints when cutting out the stock muffler for those attempting this. I used a sawzall (sp??). To give you more room on the top of the pipes, take the exhaust off its hangers. It will pop off the rubber mounts pretty easy. This will enable you to lower the exhaust so you can get the sawzall to the top portions of the pipe as you want to cut as close to the muffler as possible. You'll need to pop the stock exhaust off the hangers anyway to get your pipe. I used a 30" long 4" pipe and then clamped it on. Don't worry about the angle, as when you clamp down, the 4" will bend enough to make up for it. Plus, there is enough play in the hangers to make it work. This will also give you a nice little lip to weld on to make it air tight. Right now I'm using exhaust sealer until I can get to my brother's so he can weld it. Seems to be working fine. Tube of that stuff cost $2.

Hope this helps out.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Here's my muffler...

·
Registered
195 Posts
That looks a lot like my muffler, and my cat as well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts