Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a lot of searching,it looks like this isnt a very common thing with the 6.5L,but its sure been a pain in my backside for a while,so Ill ask it.....Are there ANY gaskets at all in the exhaust system?(besides the donuts)

My 00' 3500 flatbed dumptruck has been leaking exhaust from somewhere around the pass side manifold and the turbo,for about 25,000 miles.Its a rental truck,so getting it off the line and in the shop for more than a day is tough.Its so bad the air filter has to be changed at every oil change.The pass side valve cover and the entire underhood landscape on the pass side is black.No loose bolts, and it sounds like 1 or 2 cylinders only,so I doubt its the crossover pipe.
Before the warrantee ran out I took it in and complained,explaining that the dry black soot everywhere and the sharp ticking sound were sure signs of an exhaust leak.The dealer claimed there was no leak at all,replaced the tuna can and called it good....I dont think they wanted to deal with it,and from past experiences,they have monkeys for mechanics.

Anyone know if this is common,if there is a full gasket kit availible,or am I going to have to get my pass side manifold machined flat or just replace it?

·
Registered
247 Posts
gaskets

there are gaskets just like the rest the pass/turbo side is a pain not to bad from the tire well tho

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Yes there are gaskets but I never use them (same as a 350) because if the manifold is warped they will burn out the gasket, both trucks I have do not have gaskets in them I'd reccommend removing the manifold and have it planned, and re-instal without gaskets
my 2 cents

1 - 3 of 3 Posts