Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just straight piped my Duramax ... and I hate it. It has a terrible drone at about 1500rpm and again at about 2200rpm. Now I am almost forced to replace the exhaust. I am looking for something quiet inside the cab (NO drone) that will lower the EGT a bit. I dont hot-rod, but I do tow a 5th wheel and will be making a trip to the Rockies this fall. And ... Im not made of money so the more economical the better. Please give me some suggestions and vendors and web sites.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Go to Summit Racing they have an exhaust for out Duramax trucks. I believe it is $300 and something for an Aluminumized 4" exhaust, but From what I have read and heard, they all have at least a small drone at some point in the rpm band.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Why not try yanking the straight pipe for a quiter flowing per muffler? You may eat the cost of a muff if you dont like it but you may get lucky and not have to spring for a new exhaust.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had a straight-thru 4" muffler put on mine and it is very quiet with no drone. You can hear the exhaust note at idle and under hard acceleration or heavy load, but it is never objectionable. The problem, is I don't know what brand muffler it is. I think its some generic unit. Sorry about that. It works fine, though. The EGT drop is not as dramatic as I'd hoped for, but the turbo spools up a bit faster and it really does sound nice.

TC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.