Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm runing the Diamond Eye exhaust and at speeds from 78 to 84 mph I have a very loud roar/drone. I've noticed this mentioned about several system. Does anyone recommend Banks or another brand of exhaust without this problem. I drive alot of interstate and it seems I run 80 most of the time so this is a real problem for me. I'm gonna have to go back to the stock system unless you guys have a solution. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well again great service from Con! He got the exhaust people in touch with me and they think it's a vibration problem with a hanger rubbing the frame or under cab. I'm off in the morning to the muffler shop that did the install and let them check it out. Thanks Con!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Shoe

I had that problem with my "el cheapo" 4in exhaust.I put the longest Magnaflow muffler that would fit on it & it sounds great,no more resonation.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Bullseye,

I had the same problem with my "el cheapo" 4" exhaust. I ended up taking it off and storing it while I check out other muffler ideas. Right around 2000rpm and up the exhaust got rather loud, too loud for me. Probably right around 2400rpms it seemed to settle down. Could you tell me more details on your Magnaflow muffler, part # etc??
I would like to put this 4" exhaust back on, but not until I can tame it down more.

Thanks,
BobEdited by: 4x4man

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
answering part of the original question, my banks with the new muffler has no drone and is not loud at any speed/rpm. great quality and a very nice rolled dual wall tip. it is more expensive than others, but I wanted to install and enjoy and not deal with resonance or fitting problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the problem wasn't a mounting or vibration issue. The muffler shop checked it out and it's their opinion the muffler is the problem. I'm in contact with con and I'm sure he will work it out. The Banks sounds like a winner!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have the banks system with new style muffler...0 drone.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I installed a Banks Monster Exhaust May "02". I had resonance at 1600 to 1900 RPM's, (about 54 to 59 MPH with 245/75R16). Most noticable in 5th gear under load. In September "03", I saw they had a new style muffler that wasn't supposed to have the drone. I called them, and they sent a new style muffler, FREE. I only had to pay shipping to return the old muffler to them. The new muffler, made by a different vender, didn't have an extention welded on, (about 9 inches), for my 2002 Ex-Cab LB. Banks knew the exact length, fabricated one, and I received it in two days. My truck now has no drone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I installed the Banks a couple of weeks ago and i have to say it's great.Excellent fit,no bending or prying just bolt it together and go.I didn't want anything too loud and especially didn't want the dreaded drone.I find the Banks isn't much louder than stock.I looked on alot of vendor sites and found the best deal from The Rev Shop.

·
Registered
98 Posts
4x4man

I can't find a pt# on receipt,but its 42" long & stainless.I think Summit sells Magnaflow call their tech,they'll tell you.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I will give Summit a call, thanks!!! Hope to get this back on before towing season!!!
Thanks again!
Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts