Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i'm new to the post but have learned alot from reading your guy's posts. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the benefits and negatives of using an exhaust system, such as Banks, rather than just putting in a straight pipe. I'm wondering about the sound quality and any performance differences. And if anyone could tell me where to go to listen to the systems on a Dmax i'd appreciate it. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
iusebow,

With a replacement performance exhaust system you will get CFM flow increase that's better than straight piping because the tubing is of an increased size and is mandrel bent. Plus you get a muffler (if correctly designed) that will kill some of the rasp of the exhaust note while not presenting and exhaust restriction at all. Plus the factory muffler is a design that's low in and high out, so you will have to get a piece made than has a bend in it to fit, or cut the pipes at an agnle which again is a small restriction.

A system like the MBRP that we distribute will bolt on in the driveway easily, is available in cat back or down pipe back in aluminized, T-409 and T-304, in single 4 inch or dual 4 inch and will also give your truck a "muscle" appearance. While that's not important to some it is to others etc. Our T-409 systems are also very close in price to most folks aluminized systems, this way you can keep your truck in a stainless systesm liek it was done at the factory.

Plus you have an expensive truck, if you plan other HP mods having the extra CFM flow is going to benefit you in the long run with lower EGT's and a quicker spooling turbo. Please call us if you have any questions, we are always here to help.

Mark @ DPPI

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
most of the restriction is in the factory muffler. Most exhaust comes down to personal preference of sound and looks. Some may like a straightpipe sound and some may like one manufactures muffler and not another.

Unless you are going gonzo and need the breathing of a bigger exhaust.

I bought a 4"-5" system and yanked out the muffler and I like the sound(although cops dont
)

·
Registered
24 Posts
iusebow-

I think the best way to actually hear different systems in action would be to attend one of the "D'iesel Place Get Togethers" in your area. A dyno day would probably be best as the attending members will probably have modified/aftermarket systems.

Get togethers are posted here:

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=16

1 - 4 of 4 Posts