Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your truck is used for towing fifth-wheel trailers or pull trailers(10Kto12K) have you installed an exhaust brake on your Duramax, rather than let the Allison slow the truck and trailer on grades?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Banks Works great!! As advertised.

·
Registered
653 Posts
BD worked really well on the 01. Considering a Banks for the 04. They are not available yet for the LLY. They have to figure out how to interface with the variable vane turbo.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Will an exhaust brake effect the warranty on the Max?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your Warranty with an Exhaust Brake will depend on the dealer that you have your warrany work done at. Some dealers are actually selling these items. Also another reason for a Banks Brake as they will go to bat for you if necessary.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Have The B&D On My 03 Can't Live With Out It, Works Better Than Expected I Tow A 13000 5th Wheel

Also Had One On My 2000 d*dge Had To Get It For The DMAX

·
Registered
235 Posts
I talked my local to my local GM Service Manager regarding exhaust brakes. He related some recent antedotes where exhaust brakes were blamed for a couple of '04s sucking valves. One the one hand if there is a problem which is attributable to any after market stuff that I install, I am on my own. On the other hand, they won't show me the door just because I have made some mods. Fair enough. Of course the plot will thicken when the cause of a problem isn't clear. But that comes with the territory.

BD (and I assume Banks) monitors back pressure and releases the brake to conform to GM's specs. I assume that this is what they are working on to make right. With an LLY in my drive and a BD sitting on my bench waiting for install, I am trusting that they will work out a solution and get it right. They have told me that the brake that I have will not change but will require the adding of a control module. So, in the meantime, I am going to install it along with the 4" exhaust system that is going in. I just won't hook up the electronics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts