Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that GM's C4500&5500 have an optional exhaust brake that you can order when you are buying new. What I am wondering is if anyone has figured out if you can bolt this thing on a 2500HD or 3500. If so what are the part numbers for us to go and pick one up?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I dont know about gm but banks makes a good settup for the duramax. It goes under the truck in the exhaust, and a air compresser places under the hood to run it. When I save up enough money I will be installing one on my truck.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I would bet it is a lot more complicated than just picking up some parts. Hopefully, it is integrated with the ECM to allow it to work in conjunction with the Cruise Control, as in some big rigs, which would make fitting to other trucks difficult.

I have a Banks on mine, and it is a really good unit - works well, and makes easy work of 6% and greater grades with heavy loads. B-D also makes one, as do Pac Brake and US Gear.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
What did the Banks cost? (ballpark) Im thinking about one but not sure if I want to spring for one with a 6000 pound trailer.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think it was around $1200. I believe it is the most expensive, but it had some features that I liked which the others did not. My driving conditions are such that for safety reasons, I really need one. Your situation may not.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Thanks Tom, I think $1200 will keep me from buying it until I get the big camper. I only have one big hill around here and Tow/Haul does a good job on it with the little trailer.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think with what you are doing, Tow/Haul will even handle the Grapevine. I can even do it without the brake, but with it, I no longer have the pucker factor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts