Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi....

I have a 2001 D/A Dually that I picked up to make into a project truck. I am looking for enhancing the exhaust sound within a low-medium budget. I have done quite a bit of research and it has somewhat confused me. This is my 1st experience with a diesel.

Heres is what I am looking for....maybe some of you more knowledgeable people can give me some guidance on how I can achieve the following.

Louder Exhaust
Louder Turbo Spool up
Earlier Spool up

I am thinking about going straight 5" turbo back if possible...no cat no muffler.

Also, is it true that (correct if wrong) that the 2001 Duramax does not have a cat in it...If it does will removing the cat harm the engine or make passing inspections difficult? And when someone says "throwing a code"...what does that mean?

Remember go easy...I am new to diesels.

·
Registered
308 Posts
You shouldnt have a cat. Unless your in CA then i dont know. Im not up on my CA emmisions.

You might try starting with just removing the stock muffler if your on a budget! That will give you some noise and lower egt's.

You might also want to looking into getting some gauges. Like Boost and EGT.

Also, welcome to the board and you should fill out where you located, and fill out your sig with year, trans, mods, and anything you feel we should know about the truck. That way its easier for people to give advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I will definately fill out that info.

I was thinking about just removing the muffler and seeing how that sounds so I will try that.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I will definately fill out that info.

I was thinking about just removing the muffler and seeing how that sounds so I will try that.
Did it on my 04 right after I got it. I think you will like the sound and the spool up.. Good luck..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Throwing a Code - This is when something isnt right in your vehicle and sensors send a code to the computer. Your result is a check engine light will illuminate on your dashboard.

By the way Chevy Rocks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.