Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 2500 D/A CC. While I have been good about most maintenance, I have been bad about rotating tires. I was shocked a couple weeks ago to find out that my rear tires were worn out at only 15,000 miles!! They were not worn unevenly at all... just worn out! I always run correct tire pressure (80 psi) in the rear. I have a 5th wheel RV that I tow, but less than 10% of the miles are towing. The front tires had about half the tread still on them.

I had to replace the rear tires with the same Bridgestones that came stock. I took the truck to the dealer and told him that I wanted the alignment checked as a warranty item. He told me he wouldn't do it and that it would cost me $150 for an alignment. I called Chevy customer service and *****ed, but they told me the same thing.

Has anyone else seen excessive tire wear on the rear like this? What could be causing it? I was thinking about some new 17 or 18 inch wheels and tires, but if I am going to have to swap tires every 15k miles, I don't want to do that.

Opinions??

Jimbo

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Welcome to the world of diesel torque. If you are heavy footed they can be very hard on tires.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
):h

I'm still saying the same thing. I don't consider myself a real aggressive driver, but I'm wearing my Revo's off pretty damn quick.

Based on what my dad and I have seen on our Dmax's, we have a hard time getting more than 25,000-30,000 out of any tires we've tried.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Do you run them at 80 psi unloaded? Could be part of the problem. Were they worn more in the center?

I run 50psi in mine unloaded and I got almost 40K out of my Bridgestone stockers. I rotate them every 5K miles.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you run them at 80 psi unloaded? Could be part of the problem. Were they worn more in the center?

I run 50psi in mine unloaded and I got almost 40K out of my Bridgestone stockers. I rotate them every 5K miles.
I wondered about this. Do you think running 80psi is too much when not hauling?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Running 80 psi is way, way to high when not loaded. You are only running on the center of the tread. Couple that with huge torque and a heavy foot and no rotation, and wa-la you have bald tires prematurally.

Without a load on them, you should have about 40 to 50 in the rear and 50 to 55 in fronts. I never change my fronts. I leave them alone, as my front weight doesn't change much. I only air the rears when I am towing.

You are trying to put 605 ft/lbs on two footprints. With 80 psi empty they are very small footprints. So, you are carrying the load you have in a much smaller area. If you let them down, you will almost double the available footprint. Rotation is key here also.

Putting 17's or 18's are pretty much for show. They won't really help you much with this issue. I have had really good luck with the Michelin LTX M+S and the A/T's. They both have done a good job on my truck.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Tires

I have 43k on my truck and am half way through my 3rd set of tires.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Stock tires, 38,000 miles, 70% towing. 65 in the front, 65 in the rear (empty) 80 towing. I do not have a heavy foot & rotate every 15,000. Prob around 60% tread left.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stock tires, 38,000 miles, 70% towing. 65 in the front, 65 in the rear (empty) 80 towing. I do not have a heavy foot & rotate every 15,000. Prob around 60% tread left.
That is amazing. I ride with a very light foot also. I can't afford the deisel fuel otherwise. I guess that the 80 psi was really a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The new Good Year Wrangler Silent Armor come with a 50k miles warranty. If you are worried about tread life, I think this is the way to go. Still need to rotate them anyway. That goes for any tires.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Dad had his stock tires cup the tread blocks on his '04 Tahoe, it started making a funny noise. After some pushing, he got the dealer to replace all 4 tires @ 16K.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I ran 80 psi in the back and 55 up front on my stockers, never rotated, and I ran loaded about half the time and I got 49,000 miles out of them. They probably had close to 5-7,000 miles left but I switched to the revo's for better traction. Besides they look stupid....

·
Registered
225 Posts
my 37s are at about 35% in the rear and 50% in the front. I've only had them since october. $1400 for a new set of meats.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ran 80 psi in the back and 55 up front on my stockers, never rotated, and I ran loaded about half the time and I got 49,000 miles out of them. They probably had close to 5-7,000 miles left but I switched to the revo's for better traction. Besides they look stupid....
OK.... I give... why do you get 50k miles out of your stock tires and I get 15k? Do I have an alignment problem? It drives straight!

Jimbo

·
Registered
62 Posts
OK.... I give... why do you get 50k miles out of your stock tires and I get 15k? Do I have an alignment problem? It drives straight!

Jimbo
It's probably because I did not care about them and could not wait to get rid of them, so they lasted extra long. Couldn't spend the money to replace new tires with new tires, so I had to wait.....

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've got 19k miles & only rotated my tires once so far, I'd guess I have better than 2/3rd's of the original tread still left. Run 50 psi in front & 65 in the rear all the time.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Why the huge differences? I have 22k and just hit the wear bars. I drive pretty easy. I tow a 10k fiver which could be somewhere around 5 k miles of the 22k. I air to 80psi when towing and 55 empty. I am slow on corners and have rotated 3 times. Never had an alignment issue.
I guess I am too easy on them. I should burn the $-it out of them and never rotate to get the max mileage. That is just crazy.
Kirk

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Pretty much killed my rears in 10k miles. The torque and a somewhat heavy foot hasn't helped much at all. I have the fronts on now and don't expect them to last long. Never mind the huge chunks of rubber coming out from some light gravel driving.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts