Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i do my pcv re-route yesterday, with both cylinder banks having their own section of heater-hose that dumps on the ground.

i didn't drive it that much, maybe 30 or so miles yesterday. then i drive another 30-40 this morning and get the truck back in the garage. i crawl underneath to make sure everything is staying in place and i notice maybe 1/2-1 teaspoon of oil flung around on the drivers side hose (coming from passenger side cylinder bank).

i did NOT notice this amount coming from the other side. i took off both hoses and blew threw them, so they aren't clogged.

is this normal? i have been kind of hard on the truck because i'm getting this predator 40hp to shift better in t/h.

thanks,
alex

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's quite normal to see that much oil expended from the PCV system... at least it's not in your intake, though! Check out this thread... it can take care of both problems... keep oil out of the intake and off the ground!

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72089

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just as an FYI, you can put a catch can to pick up that oil but make sure it breaths well. I had an inline filter on mine that picked up alot of the oil, however, it caused my truck to smoke (burning oil) at idle. I removed the filter element and just left its can, still picks up most of the oil and my truck dosen't smoke anymore. The other option would be to put a small vacume pump at the oulet side of a filter (alot more expensive though and I am not sure if its anymore effective).

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no i don't care that it goes to the ground.

so it's normal for there to be that much? cool.

what would make it (seem to) purge more from one side than the other?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, maybe we should be re-routing this pcv into our oil fill-caps so we don't run out of oil!

good to know it's normal, the other side might be spitting out as much, i just have it in a spot that it would rather blow out into the wind than splash on the frame rails.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I just did 1250 miles and had about a pint.
That seems like a lot. That would mean that in 12k you'd blow out 10 pints, which is half of your oil! There's no way we should be burning/sucking out more than a quart every 5-10k.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
wow, maybe we should be re-routing this pcv into our oil fill-caps so we don't run out of oil!
I wouldn't do that.....The oil cap is common with the engine base that you are venting in the 1st place.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Idea #2.... cap off the valve cover vents, drill the stock oil cap, and mount a K&N breather filter?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i wasnt serious about venting it to the oil fill, just thinking out loud.

why would it drip so much oil?

on ARICO100's truck, would all that oil be in the IC if he hadn't done this mod?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts