Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 3500 crewcab to tow my Newmar 30 ft 5th wheel. Truck an trailer were 18,450 on the scales. Truck averaged around 9 mpg running 68-75 mph. I had some reserve about towing the new 5th wheel which is a 37 ft Montana with four slides. Truck and trailer combo 21,000 on cat scales. The only changes to my truck made between towing the two trailers were the air filter, I swapped out the Amsoil for the unifoam. Replaced the Mega to a Recor 690 and added an air ride hitch. Well the truck still runs 68 with no problem, did a few 100 mile stretches running 75-85 mph through Georgia to Virgina. The crazy thing about it was my worst fuel mileage was 9.5mpg running fast, with a high of 11 mpg running 63-70mph. Both sets of numbers were better than when towing the Newmar. This is my first diesel and other then some possible problems down the road with possible injector issues and maybe possible overall longevity. The truck is an animal. I know some guys say the Dodges are better tow vehicle but I think this truck kicks ass. Also for what its worth everybody down where I was camping that was towing with the Duramaxes were real close to max rating or over. Two 2500 crewcabs one pulling a 36 foot Montana with a Dodge intrepid in tow behind the trailer. Second a 40 foot Newmar Mountainaire with a rating of 16,500. My wife and I ordered a Freightliner M2 crewcab to use for towing but to be honest I'm starting to have second thoughts about it. They rated that MBE-900 engine for over 500,000 miles and the braking would be better but I'm not to sure how I feel about giving up the Chevy. Thanks needed a place to vent. Dave

·
Registered
812 Posts
Just goes to show you that the factories underrate the capacities of these trucks to cover thier legal a$$es. I have towed from the gravel pit with up to 28,000 lbs gross weight for short trips. I would not condone any long distance over the gvwr of the vehicle. Yes the DMax is awesome, but do you trust the rest of the truck to hold up under constant strain? I like my modest set-up in the name of safety, sorta like driving an 8d nail with a 2lb maul. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
617 Posts
bulldogger

On the scales I top out around 24,000 with my Keystone 36' 5er with 3 slides. I have about 32k miles on the truck, about 6k towing the RV. No problems to date. The truck pulls great and the brakes are awesome. I get better mileage towing above 75, the best was 13mpg and average of 10mpg. I'm very satisfied and the only change I'll make is possibly a LLY in the future. I run Air Lift Super Duty bags also. The more miles on the truck, the better it runs.Edited by: neverenuf

1 - 3 of 3 Posts