Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read with interest several threads where some owners are running exaust gas temps of 1300 to 1400 degrees.
I'm "old school":) and was taught to never exceed 1000 degrees as measured by a pyrometer pre turbo.
Are these new engines designed to run the higher temps? or Are the owners flirting with serious damage?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
First, I AM NOT an expert, but 12-1300 seems totally acceptable these days based on what I've read. The guys with the exceptionally hot tunes are running considerably higher for short bursts according to things I've read here. I'm sure others will chime in shortly. :)

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
That's cool

I've seen mine come around to 6:30/7 o'clock,that's hot!

The Duramax "sustained" egt's at 1300 during initial endurance testing.I would say 1200 is about where you want to stay if and at all possible besides spikes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My '05 with the thermo couple right at the manifold/down pipe connection will pull 1050* if I "stand" on it in a hard pull. Is this good or bad?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I got into this discussion on a different forum ..... I would like to get the feelings from some of the guys here.

I have a 2005 LLY and can/have hit 1400+ with the truck completely stock. I have read and heard of others who have experienced temps near 1500* with a completely stock truck.

Here is my question .... if it is possible to see these types of EGT's with a completely stock truck and GM provides us with no written guidelines with regards to temps and no gauge to even monitor the temps .... how can 14-1500 be to hot?

If a bone stock truck was capable of producing egt temps, while pulling within the mfg recommendations on DOT approved roadways, that are considered harmful why didnt GM install some sort of preventative system or at least install a gauge and tell us what is to hot?

Could it be that these motors are just fine running this hot?

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
guys, its not that reaching 1300+ degrees is going to hurt..its if you keep that 1300+ temp sustained for a period of time it will fry your turbo and other things soon after. You may see spikes during daily driving that go from 700 and will jump to 1500 very easily depending on load and traction. This is most evident when towing and most important because at times you are at the same EGT for a long time. You don't want those temps to be that high.

a 4" exhaust will drop that static temp about 200 and of course as you start adding tuners and more power you'll need that exhaust to compensate for the temps.

those of you that have Edge with Attitude, you can check your logs and see your highest EGT and you may be surprised what it is.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I understand that ... but my question still stands. If my truck is capable of running egt's in excess of 1400* bone stock and GM did nothing to educate me that it was bad or build in preventative measures .... is GM, Dodge and Ford just ignorant of the problems that might occur because of these temps or are the temps themselves just not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Has anyone ever personally seen turbo damage caused by excess heat? Ever?

·
Registered
490 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Has anyone ever personally seen turbo damage caused by excess heat? Ever?
Yes, and bearing failure was the result both times.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Whoa! Here we go!
LOL ... there is no whoa .... Im really curious. I havent been a diesel head my whole life so I am curious. Im not trying to rewrite history here, Im just askin a question.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Yes, and bearing failure was the result both times.
There is lots of data piling up that the oil is much too hot for proper lubrication. Coking has been discovered in turbos used in stock boost settings. It is time for us to acknowledge this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts