Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda hard to explain, but i'll do my best. i installed the evo and i noticed the engine now has a ticking or knocking sound, it's also louder, sounds like it's coming through the firewall. I installed everything to the "T" according to the instructions. I was maybe thinking I didn't get the pyro tight enough but it was plenty tight, the only things I could think of is i messed up tapping the pyro, or the sound is coming from the grommit were the cable runs through the firewall. it's kind of annoying, but I'm more worried that i did something wrong:( anyone have this happen??

·
Registered
132 Posts
What does the ticking sound like, can you be more descriptive? Is it similiar to an exhaust leak? Or does it sound like lifter tick? Does it get louder as the truck warms up, or does it quiet down? Is the noise audible in both the programmed levels, and the stock level?

It's normal to get a little bit louder injector noise due to the calibration changes, however if it is a "ticking" and it doesn't go away it could very well be an exhaust leak at the thermocouple, or some valvetrain noise that is more easily heard now because the gromit isn't sealed well where you came through the firewall.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Many others have posted that the thermocouple wire when attached to the firewall allows the vibration to transfer to the firewall and cause a noise. Isolate the thermocouple wire off the firewall and it should go away.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Do exactly what Coghlin says. Remove the thermocouple wire from behind the firewall clips, and the tick will go away immediately. I had the exact same problem.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So when you guy's removed the thermocouple from the firewall clips where it shows to install it in the manual, it stopped the ticking?

If that's the case, we should definatley change that in the manual. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coghlin;1583998; said:
Many others have posted that the thermocouple wire when attached to the firewall allows the vibration to transfer to the firewall and cause a noise. Isolate the thermocouple wire off the firewall and it should go away.

ahhh... i used the clips like the book said i'll try running the cable somewhere else and see if that helps.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another Prob solved by the DP!!

Noise is gone!!! thanks Coughlin!! removed from clips and no noise, i love the dieselplace;) ....anyone have a good idea on how to hide the cable, or make it look clean?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I ran mine through the main wiring harness grommet. Its double walled so it cancels all the noise. make sure you push the inner part of the grommet all the way back in until it seats though, i didnt have mine all the way seated and i got the same ticking noise you are describing.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Check BMDMAX's garage or maybe his webpage. He puts all his wire in a nice wire loom.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
i just installed the evo as well and mine has that ticking noise...i will try taking the wire out of those clips and see if thats it..thanks for all the input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts