Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is the reason for high dirt and copper content in my oil sample from the oil analysis results post. every body take off your afe stage two intake and look at yours NOW. this is the paint gone that was sucked into the turbo. this picture is 4"s before the turbo and every bit of paint went threw my turbo and into the engine.the second picture is the second turn paint is gone there to.

john

Edited by: tulsa1718

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ouch,

I would try and get AFE to stand behind any out of pocket claims that you have at the very least for 150,000 miles with the engine in your truck. That is aweful. You had better at a bare minumum get a refund from the company to go along with this warranty.

I am glad I have not touched my intake.

Good luck to you,

Hunter

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I would bet it was grit and oil that eroded the paint away in the first place.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Tulsa1718,

What type of element? Proguard 7? Prewrap?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
after seeing that I would say unpainted plastic is a better choice for intake tubing, it doesn't act like a heat sink either

·
Registered
353 Posts
OUCH!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Holy Batsh*t, Batman!

Did you send the pics to the manufacturer????? Hope you still have the stock airbox! Dealers see that, and every one running an aftermarket airbox, just voided their warranty! Yowzah!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I agree Mike. The plastic intake tube is the way to go and it doesn't conduct heat either like you said. I was looking at the AFE but not anymore. That is ugly. I always thought the tubes were poweder coated or anodized, not plain old paint.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have the 5 series not the 7 series. i just got off the phone with afe they are talking amoungest themselfs about this. they told me they did have a bad batch of tubes that were powder coated when they were rusted and the coated doesn't last. when they finish talking they are going to call me back. they are certainly concerned and they are going to do something about. i will let you guys know when they call me.

john

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Tulsa 1718,

Did you ever spray any type of MAF sensor cleaner up your tube?

Is that rust or copper under that paint?

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
They use Amsoil paint

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the rust is under the paint. a bad run of rusted intakes afe said, and yes i have sent them the pictures, they are talking about as we type.

johnEdited by: tulsa1718

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
So what is under the rust? What is that tube? Copper, brass, steele?

It looks like copper? Is that all rust on top of iron/steel?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Copper and Brass being non-ferrous materials won't rust.

I had my K&N plastic tube off the other day for an inspection and it was clean. I thought about going with the AFE as their tube looks nice but after seeing the paint loss I am glad for the plastic.

·
Registered
124 Posts
does anyone have a special going on on a stock filter setup as i think now would be a good time. plastic tubes don't peel and a paper filter is garranteed to seal.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Looks like a good example of why secondary air filtration is needed.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the tube is steel and rusted and i have never cleaned the inside with anything. i have checked the whole tube and both turns have the paint sandblasted off. the picture is the second turn the first turn is the same, so twice the paint went threw that the picture shows.

johnEdited by: tulsa1718

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Tulsa 1718,

I believe you and your competance, just trying to get all of the facts out on the table.

I find a contradiction brewing. AFE is stating a bad batch of paint/rust.

You are saying both corners are sand balsted.

I think a filter is leaking. That stage 5 is no different then my discarded K&N.

Why else would AFE go to a new improved Progaurd 7 filter media?

I wonder if the new media is any better?

Wonder if this is why my BRIGGS AND STRATTON lawn mower has a paper element? Some will say to save money, but Briggs abd Stratton has never skimped on anything. In my opinion they build one of the best small motors. Overpriced Hondas are a little better.Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
448 Posts
FWIW although there should not be paint peeling from the inside of your intake tube I wouldn't think it would do any damage to the engine. It might cause a restriction in the intercooler though.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Looks like a paint prep/adhesion issue. I doubt this was from erosion due to dirt.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts