Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my truck pop a CEL and code stating that there was an error with glow plug circuit number 3. Would this mean bad glow plug or is there something wrong with the glow plug module itself?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Welcome to DP. Fill in your signature, it helps alot. I like to use search. This is what I found. If you need more info I will be more than happy to help you out. Yes #3 bad glow plug. They are 61G glow plugs. GM PART # 97364968 about $21 Do it your self 15 min. Drivers side front to back is 2,4,6,8 and passenger side front to back is 1,3,5,7.

Testing glow plugs by resistance is ok but it can lead to false good test. the best way is to use an amp meter connected to pos voltage and touch the glow plug with the other lead this powers the glow plug an gives you an amperage reading for each a good glow plug draws over 10 amps. I have seen bad glow plugs test ok for resistance and with a test light connected to pos, but would only draw2 or 3 amps

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
That is incorrect information.

Do not apply 12V to the glow plugs, especially if they are still in the engine. The Dmax GPCM operates the glow plugs on 5V. You will at a minimum burn the element out, likely breaking the tip off inside the cylinder.

The proper test is with an ohmmeter, GM service manual states 1 ohm or less resistance. Anything higher, replace.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts