Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read all the posts on butchsmith’s problem and it looks like he had it better than me.
I problem is similar my engine won't run. It turns fast, the glow plugs are all working (they're new and tested before they were put in the engine) and they pass the tests you guys mentioned in that post.
The engine was overhauled. I replaced the all the gaskets, the heads, the water pump, and glow plugs. I also had the tranny worked on. I found some cables that go to the AT that were heat damaged and repaired them (that should explained my prev post on no 4th gear.) so basically, I went thru the whole truck fixing everything to have a reliable truck again.
Now, after oil priming the engine I cranked the engine for several seconds until it started. Some white smoke but it all went away soon. I had to shut the engine off because I forgot to plug the tranny temp sensor and it was spilling AT fluid all over the place. After that the engine did not start again. And let me say it again, it did not start again. It turns but no clack/clack/clack/clack...
I loosened the fuel line from #1 injector and found no fuel pressure. The lift pump works (Did test it as per the FAQ post) I also made sure the fuel filter housing didn't have and air in it.
I don't have a manual for this truck but I just bought a 6.5 electronic fuel injection book off eBay for education hope this helps. Before this purchase I checked a couple of things on the pump. The question I have is mainly this:
WHAT MAKES THE IP INJECT FUEL???
There is a pick up sensor that goes to the front of the crank shaft that gave me shady results. Since I don't have a manual I assumed that this sensor is basically a pick up coil that sends a signal when the protuberance in the crankshaft passes near. Am I right on this??? Can any one test this sensor and let me know the results? Would this sensor cause the IP to not inject?
One more thing; the engine has what appears to be two oil pick up sensors. One is located on the back of the engine and the other is in the engine valley, between the intake manifold and the fuel filter. I tested both but got no good results. Besides, doesn’t this oil pick up unit control power to the lift pump only???
I replaced the PMD already with a known good one and no, I don't have any error codes from the ECU. All I get is the comforting code 12.
Here is a pic of the engine before I put it back in the engine bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
How is that ground wire hooked up on the PMD harness?

Melted wires = possible short circuit. Maybe a fuse blew. Did you work on the wires after it ran or before?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
DavidPhillips;1589803; said:
How is that ground wire hooked up on the PMD harness?

Melted wires = possible short circuit. Maybe a fuse blew. Did you work on the wires after it ran or before?
he PMD is grounded to the engine and the black wire is grounded to the body of the IP, the harness was also tested for continuity >> OK.
The wires i was reffering to where the wires that run from the back/almost left side to over the transmission these wires were collecting much heat from the lfet exhaust bank and melted/carbonized the insulation. that was fixed anyway. Fuses are OK. the fuses checked are the ones under the steering wheel.
The wires were repaired while the engine/transmission were out of the truck.
oh, and on the pictures I added the PMD is just sitting on top of the intake, it was not installed yet as of then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
all right, i bought the crankshaft sensor and installed it but i have to charge up the batteries before i give it a try... i'll do that tomorow.
what puzzles me is the fact that this sensor has three lines??? it has a magnet at the end and there is no continuity among the terminals (there is some resistance)

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
CPS is a hall-effect sensor, not a coil - takes +5v and ground, puts out a rectangular pulse - don't be probing around too much or you'll damage it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gmctd;1591641; said:
CPS is a hall-effect sensor, not a coil - takes +5v and ground, puts out a rectangular pulse - don't be probing around too much or you'll damage it
ok that makes sense. i was using the wrong tool to test.
it is time to check batteries and give it a crank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it did not work. I still get no fuel coming out of the injector line...
HELP< Please...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Best thing to do is post the checklist from the sticky thread with the results.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
following up on advise.

1.Lift pump test - describe results:
lift pumps works. Fuel comes out of the T valve when cranking.
2.Service Engine Light - on/off/intermittent:
SES is off, no trouble codes either.
3.Model year:

6.5L turbo diesel, Auto tranny, 3500HD, Electronic injector pump,1994 Silverado, Dually, dual cab, chassis.
3a. Odometer reading

182k miles
3b. Miles on major engine components if been replaced:

0 the engine was just refreshed (new heads, piston rings and gaskets) and needs to be broken in.
4.Do you have any engine codes?:

No
5.If you do have engine codes - what are they?
No

6.Air Filter condition (visual check)
Free flowing, K&N brand new.
7.Fuel filter condition (freshly changed or condition unknown)

New
8.Condition of
Battery terminal connections (cleaned and tightened)
Fully charged/ new connectors.
8A.Known condition and age of the batteries.

New, both 1000 CCA…
8B.Are batteries of differing age or are they a matched set?

9.Upon cold start, does the radiator hose get hard quickly? Yes/no
haven’t been able to diagnose yet.

10.Upon cold start, do you have excessive white smoke? Yes/no
the only time it started white smoke was minimal. Just a couple of white puffs.
11.Do you have excessive cranking time before the engine starts?

Engine doesn’t start.
12.Have you used the block heater, and does this effect engine starting?

Yes. No change
13.During hard acceleration, do you have excessive black smoke? Yes/no
can’t tell yet.

14.Do you have any unusual exhaust smoke issues?
Can’t tell yet.
15.Turbo check out - pass/fail

Turbo was working fine before overhaul. No play on bearings and it generated up to 15 psi of boost.
16.Do you have an EGR on the engine? (An F or an S engine code)

No EGR
17.Indicate if you know if it’s a 1500, 2500, 2500HD, 3500, 3500HD.

I pretty sure it is a 3500HD
18.Indicate fuel that you are using: Bio-diesel, #2 Diesel, #1Diesel, SVO/WVO, other

Regular diesel from fuel station. (planning on running bioD later)
19.Are you using any fuel additives? If so, please list.

No.
20.Please indicate geographic region you are in: (example:
Texas or Canada)
Atlanta.
21.Do you have any service history available that might pertain to the problem you are having?

Replaced the PMD, and crankshaft sensor. Switched oil sending units (engine has two)
22.Please indicate any modifications to the vehicle that might help us diagnose better.

No mods. Stock computer
23.Upon unscrewing the fuel cap, do you have a large vacuum formed in the tank? yes/no

Can’t tell yet. But it was not a problem beore overhaul
24.Location of PMD/FSD? On the pump/remoted over intake/remoted out of engine bay (please specify specifically)

Removed PMD from pump during overhaul and placed it over the intake manifold. Cooler has dual cooling fans.
25.Are ALL glow plugs in proper working order as per this thread?

Yes. Glow plugs are new and each one was tested. Glow plug harness was replaced .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i found the problem. i'm fixing it now. the injection pump transfer pump or the regulator appears to be stuck... i ordered a new IP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts