Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a line of Coolant on ground left side rear of engine by the oil filter adapter today. I’ll do a pressure test to see if I can actually find the source. Here are pictures.
C40C60E5-339B-47BC-A97A-E5E8DB465E63.jpeg
C40C60E5-339B-47BC-A97A-E5E8DB465E63.jpeg
251D457C-2D44-4DE9-BAD1-0C4CEA8BAE82.jpeg
6C3B84BB-CB76-42B9-91F8-0034C6D5DB35.jpeg
6C3B84BB-CB76-42B9-91F8-0034C6D5DB35.jpeg

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
Start by inspecting the coolant crossover that feeds the heater core located up by the oil fill cap.
The crossover is a well-known spot to leak.
If it does leak, the coolant will flow into the engine valley and flow out of the drain tube located on the back of the engine by that oil filter

Reactions: Dadddyoh

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Start by inspecting the coolant crossover that feeds the heater core located up by the oil fill cap.
The crossover is a well-known spot to leak.
If it does leak, the coolant will flow into the engine valley and flow out of the drain tube located on the back of the engine by that oil filter
Did a quick observation of the cooling system. Since I live in a residential area my driveway is on a slant. The crossover on the drivers/left side of the truck was leaking and running back along the valley and dropping off and the rear of the engine. Will purchase a pair of gaskets and will RR tomorrow. what you commented on checking OkDually was where the leak is. Since that is a known leak area would it be advisable to add a small amount red gasket sealer on the gaskets?

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
Did a quick observation of the cooling system. Since I live in a residential area my driveway is on a slant. The crossover on the drivers/left side of the truck was leaking and running back along the valley and dropping off and the rear of the engine. Will purchase a pair of gaskets and will RR tomorrow. what you commented on checking OkDually was where the leak is. Since that is a known leak area would it be advisable to add a small amount red gasket sealer on the gaskets?
You could add a thin layer but I don't think it would be necessary

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
Usually the quick connect fitting on the crossover is the culprit. Be sure to inspect it really well

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Usually the quick connect fitting on the crossover is the culprit. Be sure to inspect it really well
Checked the quick disconnect out. Looks good. Here is a picture
A51A0103-5D1A-48A0-B7BB-63F57D8FF84A.jpeg

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,415 Posts
Maybe the rear plates on top of both cylinder heads might be leaking or just that the bolts have loosened up and need to be tightened a little more.One is under the glow plug controller but the passenger side plate is a little easier to get to.

Reactions: bk95td

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,010 Posts
You need to check that quick connect when engine is running?

·
Super Moderator Eco-Logistical
4,277 Posts
I have never used any sealant on the water passage gaskets, I usually glue the gasket to the part, then apply a thin smear of wheel grease to the engine side of the gasket. Helps disassembly in the future...
if it is the rear passages, see about tightening the bolts... might be a good time to pull the intake manifold, and clear out any gathered acorns from the valley... replace fuel hoses etc.

Reactions: Texas Diesel Guy

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have never used any sealant on the water passage gaskets, I usually glue the gasket to the part, then apply a thin smear of wheel grease to the engine side of the gasket. Helps disassembly in the future...
if it is the rear passages, see about tightening the bolts... might be a good time to pull the intake manifold, and clear out any gathered acorns from the valley... replace fuel hoses etc.
Well this leak is history. Pulled and cleaned the crossover applied a small amount of grey wp sealant to the crossover side with gasket then reinstalled and torqued to spec. vstech actually the engine valley although dark and dirty has no acorn ruffage lol down there. My fuel lines run topside from FSM to IP the PO had done this. Is there braided fuel lines for the 6.5 or is it better to stay with just standard fuel hose? Now I'll wait till the next leak comes along. Thanks for all the advice guys.

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
Well this leak is history. Pulled and cleaned the crossover applied a small amount of grey wp sealant to the crossover side with gasket then reinstalled and torqued to spec. vstech actually the engine valley although dark and dirty has no acorn ruffage lol down there. My fuel lines run topside from FSM to IP the PO had done this. Is there braided fuel lines for the 6.5 or is it better to stay with just standard fuel hose? Now I'll wait till the next leak comes along. Thanks for all the advice guys.
If you look in the DIY section you can make your own Braided hoses with AN fittings.
Glad you have the issue resolved.
Thanks for giving us an update!
(y)

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,010 Posts
May be the fuel line was not fuel rated?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts