Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be getting another truck for pulling a fifth wheel or trailer. I'm concerned about the lack of engine braking on descents. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the '06 D/A has a transmission retarder (?).

Does the LB7 have this also? Is it an option I need to be sure to get?

Anyone have a problem overheating brakes pulling approx 10,000 lbs?

Thanks,
Steve
St. George, UT

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Yes, all Allison transmissions have it. Its called grade braking and activates when you press the TOW/HAUL button. Just leave the transmission in DRIVE, put TOW/HAUL on and away you go!! When you start going down a hill, just brake lightly and the transmission will downshift and keep the torque converter locked for maximum engine braking. Do not worry about going in the DASHED red zone. Nobody that I know of has had overheating brakes...just let the Allison do its work.

Ben

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply Ben!

Steve

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
it works good when it does what it's supposed to.

sometimes it'll hit ~2700rpm and do a nice job of keeping me slow, but others it just sits at ~1900rpm and the only difference is the engine is revving, engine braking sucks.

so i don't know what the deal is...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have pulled my 15K 5ver down some steep A$$ hills and the Allison does most of the work. Don't worry about the redline as it is normal to hit 4k or higher on the Tach..Jim:ro)

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
yeah theres some complicated grade braking algorithm in the TCM that SOMETIMES doesnt work quite right...

EFILive should fix it tho :D

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
no way!

i've seen the hell EFILIVE has brought to you!

"yup, engine braking works good...... what's this whining sound on decel?"

;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts