Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on this topic and found some good info. Have only had my truck for a couple of weeks and am a little "gun shy" after what I just went through with an 03 6.0 PSD(buy back.) Was wondering if any of you who had this ticking noise finally got rid of it or it went away for good? Is this something that any of you are concerned about long term or should I just let it go and stop worrying?

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I can't remember the exact milage but mine went away after a couple thousand miles. I never hear it anymore. Some stay it sticks around but mine didn't. I was getting sick of people asking 'what is wrong with your truck'. And try to explain to some of these people that the wierd noise is perfectly normal...

Definatly let it go and stop worrying!

My dad just bought an 03 Ford with a 6L
. I hope he doesn't have too many problems. He knew what he was getting himself into.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Max Power. Just needed a little reassurance. After the nightmare I just went through with that Powerstroke every little odd sound or bump really gets me nervous. Good luck to your Dad. I hope that he gets a good one. I had the rear main seal replaced in mine four times in 7k miles and it was still leaking the day I gave the keys back. Three injectors replaced and the list goes on. Glad to be in a "Real Truck"

·
Registered
941 Posts
My DMAX started ticking around 90 miles. It went away right around 8,500 miles or so. It came back when I did an oil change at 10,000 miles. Now at just over 12,000 miles it has gone away again. No worries...

Bob

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I too have the infamous tick. Many have said it goes away after time, mine seems to like staying. The nice thing is it's really only audible at idle and when I'm near a building(like going to an ATM).

·
Registered
157 Posts
At 7800 miles, the tick comes and goes in my truck. It is deffinetly less frequent now than it was when I first got it though.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Mine has a tick in it, but I have came to the conclusion the only reason I can hear it is because all the other noise is gone. After driving a Cummins for 5 years the Duramax is quite. I beleve a lot of the noise people hear are in the Louder Diesels but never heard them because of all the other noise. This is just my opinion. I really like my Duramax!!!!! Ever try to order a burger from McDonalds Drive Through with out shutting down your Diesel? Well I can with my Duramax !!!Edited by: BIGMoe

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I still shut mine off at the drive through.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shut mine off too but I think it's from too much loud Rock-n-Roll in my dumber days and not the pur of that DMax.Edited by: Bowhunter

·
Registered
29 Posts
huh I cant hear you

·
Registered
490 Posts
Mine has the tick. Talked to a Waste Management guy today driving a company Duramax. He said his tick went away at 10K.

·
Registered
37 Posts
started around a 100 and went away at about 1000 with 4000 even no sign of it comming back

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BigMoe

Just got back from Wyoming, around Jeffrey City, Muddy Gap, on an antelope hunt. Saw alot of the highway crews and state construction guys using Duramax powered trucks. Bought mine two days after I got back. If those guys trusted them in their work environment, how could I go wrong.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
The tick can be annoying but it's a non issue.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
hoot said:
The tick can be annoying but it's a non issue.

And hoot is a tick expert! Think about it, with 1270 posts in around a month all he hears is tick, tick ,tick on the keyboard!

·
Registered
432 Posts
33K and mine still ticks now and then. Running Delvac 1 last 20+K. Heard it yesterday while idling next to a building. I love the tick, reminds me the engine is still "Tight" LOL

·
Registered
540 Posts
And Peanut hears:

TICK TICK TICK

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have that same tick in my 03 D/A with 4500 miles on the clock. I have read in a couple places that the Mobil 1 Delvac synthetic oil takes care of it for some people. I will be switching to Delvac synthetic at 10K, guess we will see if it goes away then.

Curtis

·
Registered
187 Posts
11000 sum odd miles and mine ticks. Keeps a pretty good rythm to. I had the dealer look at it just so there would be a record of it incase the General decides it is bad thing down the line. Then if the motor goes bad and tick is gone at the time I will be able to say, But look I had it at one time.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts