Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for advice about the temperature of my engine, 6.6L Duramax/Allison, ¾ ton.

I have been noticing that the temperature seems to run a little low, around 160 degrees or so when just driving around town. This past week end I took a 350 mile trip (outside temperature in the 40’s and 50’s) and noted that the temperature did not come up to around 200 until I got out on the interstate and was running around 70 mph. Also, the transmission temperature runs at around 100 degrees instead of the 160+ that the manual says that it should run at.

My question is: Do I have some bad thermostats or do you just have to run a Duramax to get it to heat up?

Thanks

·
Registered
687 Posts
At 40-50 degrees the engine will be cold (i.e. 180ish) and the tranny will run cold if you are not shifting excessively. I would expect to see a rise in tranny temp after a bit on the road, but you will probably not see 160 unless either pulling hard or shifting in stop/go traffic in those outside temps. The engine should warm to the 200 mark at least once before the tstat opens, then drop to a steady state temp less than that.

I am assuming that the cold front is not installed. The above is my observations before winter set in here.

MN

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just took a 1200 mile trip with my new D-Max and had the same readings as you did ag4gt. Trans temp never gat above about 130. Engine temp ran about 180.

·
Registered
663 Posts
ag4gt,

When your temps only reach 160 driving around town, how long have you been driving? If less than 15-20 minutes, 160 is about right. (it's also not good for the engine to take frequent short trips where the engine doesn't get up to operating temp - IMHO).

Without the cold front my engine temp will usually warm up to 185 (1/4 of full scale) after 20-30 minutes of driving when ambient temps are in the 40's and tranny will not move much over the 100 mark (on the highway). I find that using the cold front when temps are in the 30's and lower makes a big difference in operating temps. I also leave the cover on when temps are in the 40's and 50's without any problems. Engine temps with the cover run between 190 and 200 and the tranny hits 150.

Edited by: jbplock

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
210 summer towing 180 winter no tow. (engine)Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
I leave my winter cover on into the 60's. Ive pulled many a hill, and havent had a problem. No double fan, or high gauge. It still will lose heat when at a stop light for a min or two.

It also gives me in cab heat much faster...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Does it cause any problems to have the trans run cool? I know it's bad to have the engine run cool, but it seems as though it wouldn't bother the trans, due to having the thin ATF.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I recently drove through a little to much snow. I had to back out . The underside of my truck was packed with snow and ice. It was also only 5-10F outside. The tranny gauge was pegged! On the low side that is. Took 3 days to fully melt out. No noticealble problems.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it sounds like everything is about normal with my Duramax, actually my wife’s. I have the ’84. she let me drive it sometimes.

On my trip I had over 100 miles until I got to the interstate so it was well warmed up.

Thanks for all the posts and the good info.

·
Registered
266 Posts
ag4gt,

I purchased a Lund Stainless steel winter front for my 2002 which allows the engine to get up to operating temperature fairly quickly. I will run it from now until spring when the weather gets consistently warm. It doesn't cause any problems leaving it on all the time even if you run into a few warm days like today. The temp in good old swampeast Missouri got up to 70 degrees today! It may be different with a heavy load but I can take it off in less than 5 minutes. I believe I paid about $75 for it and it looks really sharp on the truck.

Darrell

·
Registered
33 Posts
Darrel,
I just purchased a 2004 3/4 dmax extened cab full size and was looking for the winter covers you mentioned above. i could not find them at lund. Do you have a part number or brand name so i can look it up.
Bill

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bill
I went to their website but it is down right now. From your pics i like this unit. I will contact them later for this and other accesories they have. Thanks for your advice.
Bill

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hi-

Outside right now it's 45 degrees.

After it warmed up good. About 45-60 minutes of driving.

Transmission - 150

Engine 190-200

·
Registered
266 Posts
Bjay177 said:
Darrel,
I just purchased a 2004 3/4 dmax extened cab full size and was looking for the winter covers you mentioned above. i could not find them at lund. Do you have a part number or brand name so i can look it up.
Bill

Bill,

Searched the Lund website but couldn't find anything for a 2003 or 2004 Chev 2500HD. I emailed their Tech support and will let you know the outcome.

Darrell

·
Registered
430 Posts
I agree about dropping a note to MaxPower. I just got a fantastic Cloud Rider stainless steel front cover for my GMC. Much nicer than the OEM cover.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks Darrel and Bill,
I just PM'd Max Power and will wait to hear. I pick my truck up Monday. Ready for that and want this nice cover.
Bill

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
DMAXMO said:
The temp in good old swampeast Missouri got up to 70 degrees today!

The temp is not even close to 70 today in the state of Missouri! We were liking the temps so far but guess it is winter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts