Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know the normal engine temperature operating range for my 6.5TD. Under a no-load condition (driving around town, casual highway driving), my temp gauge is reading 170 degrees. I had the truck on the beach for the first time over the weekend and after running in medium deep sand, the engine temp rose to 210 degrees. This is my first diesel truck and it hasn't been worked since I got it a month ago.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Spindrift;

Running temps depend on the thermostat you have in. Stock is 190 degrees and that is what I have and truck runs at about 185 degrees with that you miust have a 180 or so. 210 degrees won't hurt the engine, now transmission I would be concerned about if you running in sand getting warm and not much airflow.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Sand is killer on an automatic transmission. I have seen fords in good condition burn up a transmission during a South Padre Island run of about 40 miles for a few days. If your running a steady 210 and no problem I say it's okay. Mine will run around 210 when towing a heavy boat in third at 75 mph.

Don't be afraid to wind it up, lugging it is the worst thing in sand, use a lower gear and you should be ok.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how can i determine what kind of stat is on the truck?

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
spindrift said:
how can i determine what kind of stat is on the truck?

It is probably the stock 195's. I say leave them in. It's a good temp range. If you were working the motor in the sand the heat will come up some. Like said before the auto trans heats up quick and transfers some of that to the motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts