·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should be the engine temp on an '05

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
between 180-192, depending on t-stat position.

Tx I assume 192 is when the t-stat OPENS?

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
180*-192* is a good answer though, it hovers that generally.

Of course with the stats closed and adding no load, you can stay around 180* for a while driving around if you try.

The red line in the graph (radiator inlet) is real close to ECT, a little lower cause of lack of flow but pretty close. Actual ECT was 192* almost all the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Wow, TxChristopher, nice answer to the question! I was actually interested and learned something I didn't think I cared about! :)

·
Registered
31,525 Posts
Wow, TxChristopher, nice answer to the question! I was actually interested and learned something I didn't think I cared about! :)
He actually makes his own t-stats. :eek: Very seriuos about heating issue. ;)

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
He actually makes his own t-stats. :eek: Very seriuos about heating issue. ;)
GM should change their rear stat to mimic the one I ended up on, it displayed nothing but good effects on the operation of the engine and even the oil temps.

Time consuming and expensive to churn out by hand but they could incorporate it into production easily.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My truck usually runs right at 210. When its cold out it doesnt get that high usually, but otherwise 210 and it never goes above, even when Im plowing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine is the same

I get 195-200 deg in winter with cover off, Summer 210 not above or below, towing or empty. Cover on winter 210 with -5 - 45 deg outside temps.

Rick

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
If you have the capability, look at the temperature as reported by the ECM and compare it to what your gauge is showing. I assure you that the ECM sensor is far more accurate, and that you will find that when the temperature is low, your dash gauge reads high, and as the temperature goes up, your dash gauge starts reading low.

This has been proven time and time again.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts