Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
It is possible, but that would be a very expensive project. I think it would be better to just buy a good used truck with a 6.5 TD already in it.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Find any year engine with the manual trans clutch setup, put the mech inj DB2-4911 Inj Pump on it, and it's just 4 wires to make it run - providing you dump the gasoline outta the tank, first.

The '92-'93 6.5TD is oem DB2-4911, so start from there, easy swap, everything is oem, incl the hydro-boost brake setup.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Although the engine is an easy swap with mechanical injection, it requires a bit more then that. You need a diesel radiator, have to replace your vacuum brake sytem with hydro boost, add clutch pedal and cylinder, cut whole in floor for shifter, get new driveshaft, exhaust system, and the list goes on......

·
Registered
308 Posts
I thought 89 was hydro boost? My dad's 89 6.2L has hydroboost, I think.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes, the 89 with 6.2 does have hydro boost, but all the 89 1500 small blocks that I have seen have vacuum boost. I had an 88 K3500 with 454 that had a hydroboost, and my brother had a 90 K1500 with a 5.7 that had vacuum. It depends on the truck, but all diesels have hydroboost.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
I just pulled a 93 td out of a burban and was going to put it in a gasser as well. Which 4 wires are needed to get it to run? IP, starter, gp relay, alternator? Not sure. There are also several other connectors on the engine itself. Im guessing those are just sensors?

82 burban with 93 td, otherwise stock
Engine is going to be put in a 80 XJ6 Jag

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am not sure which 4 wires they are talking about, but I do know that you only need a good ground on the engine, the positive wire hooked to the fuel shut-off solenoid on the IP, power to the starter, and hook up the glow plug relay. You don't have to have the alternator hooked up to run. If you have fuel & your fuel return line is clear, it will run with that. In fact- if the engine is in good shape & its not too cold outside, the engine will start without glow plugs (with good batteries). I started my 93 for about 2 months with the glow plugs not working, before I fixed them. To shut off the engine, just pull the power from the fuel solenoid.

You will have other wires for gauge sensors and cruise control ect...

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
which wire would you connect to the injection pump? the one that is run (currently) to his fuel pump, or the wire that is run to the distributor?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.