Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that my engine is making more noise than it use to. It does it usually in the mid rpm's w/without the chip on. I've got 94,000 on it now and had 76,000 when i bought it last April, so i have driven a bit. I have had an edge on my truck the majority of the time. I have done some drag racing with it and towed lightly. I just wondered if anyone could give me some ideas. I already had to replace the trans so i hope the engine isn't going too.:(

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am assuming you have a duramax? On my 03 D/A I noticed it getting louder. I started running some diesel kleen and 1/2 a quart of 2 cycle oil. That has seemed to help. See the section on fuel additives.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I have almost the exact same situation as 'the durm'. I ran a VA for about 20K miles but have been back to stock for a couple months now.

I'm thinking it be more noise from the injectors (kinda hoping it is anyways, since thats a free warranty covered item) but it is definatley louder (chatter wise) than when I got it at 78K miles (now have 110K) and a good deal louder my g/f's 02 w/ 180K miles and new injectors at 150ish.

The chatter is almost valve chatter type noise. Do the valves ever need adjusting on these engines? I know Cummins' do but how about ours? I have EFI Live, just haven't learned how to check my injectors' balance rates yet.

C-ya

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i think its the ULSD.:ThrowUp:

·
Registered
54 Posts
i have the same problem. i took mine to the stealer they told me that they have never heard of loud injectors on a diesel. they told me it was the belt tensioner was weak and wanted 300+ to replace i said no thanks. ask them if they could check balance and return rates on injectors. told me no, they do not need to be check b/c the prolem is the tensioner.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mines louder too i only notice it at stop lights its a dundundundundun sound? I use lucus fuel treatment maybe ill use some chainsaw oil?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
putting oil in the fuel just doesnt sound good to me. Ill try some fuel additive first.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
balance rates are out of spec. two were at +7 and one -6.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
The_Durm;1574310; said:
putting oil in the fuel just doesnt sound good to me. Ill try some fuel additive first.
It seems weird, but it DOES work. I was one of the first to try it, mostly because I had lots of leftover half quarts of 5-30, 10-40, and 2stroke oil sitting around.

Now I run 2 quarts of the cheapest oil I can find in every tank. As it's been said, I can barely tell my truck's even on at highway speeds, and I'm noticing about 1.5-2mpg better on the highway.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The_Durm;1574310; said:

the 2stroke oil makes a world of difference. Believe me. I was kinda nervous the first time i did it to my baby but wow..she runs like a charm with that added. I'm gonna be trying stanadyne shortly. Just to see what diff. (if any) there is.

-Colin

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Keep in mind, diesel engines in general have been run on lots of weird fuels with NO modifications. Vegetable oil, motor oils, biofuels, propane, kerosene, dirty ATF, even straight crude oil. There was a segment on the discovery channel where they actually ran a diesel on crude oil for a while. Granted, the Duramax and any common rail high pressure injection diesel can't take things like crude or dirty ATF, but diesels in general are pretty resiliant.

Remember, the first diesel engine was designed to run on coal dust.

·
Registered
361 Posts
schulte;1627279; said:
Keep in mind, diesel engines in general have been run on lots of weird fuels with NO modifications. Vegetable oil, motor oils, biofuels, propane, kerosene, dirty ATF, even straight crude oil. There was a segment on the discovery channel where they actually ran a diesel on crude oil for a while. Granted, the Duramax and any common rail high pressure injection diesel can't take things like crude or dirty ATF, but diesels in general are pretty resiliant.

Very intresting about the coal dust.. never knew that... AWESOME

-Colin

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I have, since my original post in this thread, tried running ~16oz of 2-cycle in a tank full and it did quieten it down a fair bit but my chatter is still there a bit. Perhaps a few more tank fulls with the 2-cycle will knock the noise on out; I'm hopin anyways! I think I'll add a full quart on my next fill up, the 16 oz (I *think* is a 1/2 quart) I used this time might not be enough but I was a little nervous.

·
Registered
183 Posts
SmokeShow;1570019; said:
I have almost the exact same situation as 'the durm'. I ran a VA for about 20K miles but have been back to stock for a couple months now.

I'm thinking it be more noise from the injectors (kinda hoping it is anyways, since thats a free warranty covered item) but it is definatley louder (chatter wise) than when I got it at 78K miles (now have 110K) and a good deal louder my g/f's 02 w/ 180K miles and new injectors at 150ish.

The chatter is almost valve chatter type noise. Do the valves ever need adjusting on these engines? I know Cummins' do but how about ours? I have EFI Live, just haven't learned how to check my injectors' balance rates yet.

C-ya
They need to make more girls that drive dmax's:D

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
schulte;1627279; said:

i thought it was peanut oil...

·
Registered
681 Posts
SmokeShow;1570019; said:
Yes, recommended at 80-100k miles or something like that. I had the valve lash adjusted when my injectors were replaced. Cost me a couple hours of shop time -- $150 bucks or something while they already had the valve covers off, which was probably too much, but whatever.

Did not make a huge difference in the sound of the engine, more for peace of mind... Although, my 'peace of mind' went out the window when I got halfway down the block from the dealer and discovered that, a) they hadn't refilled my coolant level properly, b) they left a few tools and a rag under the hood, and went further out the window a couple weeks later, when I discovered that c) they had changed the oil during the procedure, but not the filter. ...Who the hell knows whether a guy who makes that many mistakes can properly adjust valve lash or not. :rolleyes:

The_Durm;1627224; said:
balance rates are out of spec. two were at +7 and one -6.
New injectors for you! Enjoy the restored power & performance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine did the same thing . Truck lose's power and sound's like a gasser with bad fuel. Dealer replaced all eight injector's Im on my third set hope they hold up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Say YES! to the two stroke oil! one quart per tank of the cheap walmart oil seems to do nothing but good!!!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I can't tell if its working or not. Mine still sounds different than the ol ladies. :( Its just louder. I need to check my balance rates I suppose.

C-ya

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I have read on here that a guy put more oil in and the balance rates settled down as well, I do not know how valid this was, but I do know that the more lube you put to it, the better it sounds!

I have a neighbor who never ran a thing, I told him about Diesel Kleen, and he said it made so much of a difference that he runs it everytank.

Remember, the squeeky wheel needs the lube!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts