Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 model 210,000 miles I have been adding coolant for almost a year, just topping it off every few weeks. The past month ive had to top off every other day, truck ran fine and showed no signs of issues other than coolant getting low. Did multiple test with the coolant and the die and never showed head gasket leaking. i know i had a small leak from water pump during the last few weeks. I pull a trailer with a skid steer for work everyday and was in a bind finding alternate transportation to keep working. On the way back from a job I had just pulled off the interstate and when i came to a stop at the light i could smell oil and the truck shut off. I tried to restart and it was a slow crank no start. Engine temp was showing 210 on guage
I got the truck towed to my house, took off belt and tried to start it. It spun over normal but no start. Pulled the codes and every injector had a fault, ordered and installed pcm but no luck. I pulled the metering valve and no metal shavings, fuel looked clean. Did a compression test and all cylinders came back within spec. I have the truck at a friends backyard shop now so i work on it when i can. I thought this would be something catastrophic and pretty obvious ( and it probably is ) but havent been able to pinpoint my problem Ive read about cracked pistons and plan to do a leak down test next. Any input on diagnosis in the mean time?
thanks

·
Administrator
22,306 Posts
2013 model 210,000 miles I have been adding coolant for almost a year, just topping it off every few weeks. The past month ive had to top off every other day, truck ran fine and showed no signs of issues other than coolant getting low. Did multiple test with the coolant and the die and never showed head gasket leaking. i know i had a small leak from water pump during the last few weeks. I pull a trailer with a skid steer for work everyday and was in a bind finding alternate transportation to keep working. On the way back from a job I had just pulled off the interstate and when i came to a stop at the light i could smell oil and the truck shut off. I tried to restart and it was a slow crank no start. Engine temp was showing 210 on guage
I got the truck towed to my house, took off belt and tried to start it. It spun over normal but no start. Pulled the codes and every injector had a fault, ordered and installed pcm but no luck. I pulled the metering valve and no metal shavings, fuel looked clean. Did a compression test and all cylinders came back within spec. I have the truck at a friends backyard shop now so i work on it when i can. I thought this would be something catastrophic and pretty obvious ( and it probably is ) but havent been able to pinpoint my problem Ive read about cracked pistons and plan to do a leak down test next. Any input on diagnosis in the mean time?
thanks
Welcome to DieselPlace

Start by checking all fuses.
Grab a scanner and check for desired vs actual fuel pressures
If you still have the fuel filter head you might be sucking air past the o rings in the primer button.
while you have the scanner check for any stored codes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, i wont be able to get back to the shop myself till this weekend. My buddy did start the truck this afternoon on ether and said it ran smooth. He's going to check fuel pressures and codes tonight

1 - 3 of 3 Posts