Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm trying to help my father find others that have had engine siezure with their Duramax Diesel trucks.

The truck was a 2002 Chevy Duramax Diesel with an aftermarket Banks engine brake installed. He was towing a fifth-wheel trailer in normal conditions when the engine siezed.

According to the mechanic the The number 7 cylinder had failed and 3 valve hats out of 4 in that cylinder had broken off. They were basically melted and ingested into the engine. The debris had then gone through the other cylinders on that side of the engine. On the other side one of the valve hats in #8 cylinder had broken off and the valve fell out when they removed the head.

Chevy is claiming the engine brake was at fault and Banks is blaming the engine. Basically my father would like to get in touch with anyone who's experienced similar siezures (with or without the brake) to share information.

Please shoot me off a PM or respond here.

Thanks a bunch.

-Steener
Edited by: Steener

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I don't see how the Banks Brake could have caused all those problems. Did the dealer prove that it was the exhaust brake? My dealer out this way offers the BD Brake as a dealer option for towing. I hope this all works out for you. Don't let the dealer push you around. Nick.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Sounds like the egt's went through the roof and melted the valves off.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I saw a post from someone about a problem with a Banks brake that was staying closed. Seems like running hard against a brake could drive up EGTs and hold them up enough to prevent any cooling on the exhaust valves and could lead to this kind of failure. Sounds like it's pretty extensive damage and that wouldn't be an engine failure, which should be more localized - like in one valve set or lifter combination!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Definitely sounds like it got real hot.

Whether or not it was the exhaust brake is not something that could be determined without some substantial detective work by a qualified metallurgist among others, but it looks to me like GM has a case.

In any event, you are now into the lawyer phase and right or wrong, that may prove to be more expensive than a rebuilt engine.

Good luck....

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hard to say without a look see. My best guess, as long as everyone else is guessing, is a timing gear problem like when the piston contact the valves. Later! Frank

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am sure you can open it up and determine if it was the EGT's or not. I am wiliing to bet that if it wasdue to the exaust brake Banks will eventuly say it was due to a bad install.

There is one thing that I can not get past though. Did this all happen at once? Without any warning? Come on! I bet there was a huge climb with the foot to the floor for over a mile and the truck was loosing power, starting to smoke ect...

I don't mean to be shifting blame but that is alot of damage. I know one thing for sure. I am installing an EGT probe or my dealer is very soon!

·
Registered
692 Posts
its has to be from egt the exhaust brk acts as a dam or sorts to limit the amount of flow.back psi is pushed back to the engine.pulling and hitting it hadr will cause any amount of damage.not to say you drove it to break it. but when a diesel hits its breaking point all hell comes lose.....doubt very much it is gm falt...remember guys the more add on's with out more engine stability will one day bite your but....I have seen big rigs fall apart in the same manner.....good luck...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts