(y)

·
Administrator
21,986 Posts

·
Administrator
21,986 Posts
Replaced fuel filter, air filter.

Added diesel clean to the bowl, let it idle for 2 min and shut it off for 30 min

NO CHANGE.

I noticed it is worse once the engine is warm.
When I floor it WOT at 35mph, there's no power, it does accelerate but smokes terribly (black smoke).

It sounds like the same problem in this thread:

Not sure what to do next, I use this truck for my plumbing business and just thinking about selling it at this point.
Go through all of the grounds using the link provided in the 6.5L FAQ page. Grounds-Grounds-Grounds The importance of good grounds.....

Install a piece of clear line on the return side of the Injection pump Question: - 1999 GMC Bluebird 6.5L TD - PMD &amp...

·
Administrator
21,986 Posts
I will check the grounds and install the clear tube today.
The IP is hard to get to in the step van.
Is there anywhere I can install a fuel gauge on?

There are no issues at idle but it will smoke if I raise the RPMs.

The SES light is due to P0380 Glow/Plug Heater Circuit A because one of the connectors has corroded off. The truck still starts OK.

Seems like another one here with a similar issue. Asked him to update with his findings:
You can T in a fuel gauge anywhere in between the lift pump and fuel filter housing

·
Administrator
21,986 Posts
View attachment 646376
View attachment 646375

Unfortunately no change after cleaning the grounds.
There was no air bubbles in the clear tube.

I dont have a stalling issue.

In Park, I cannot gradually raise the RPMs, it just jump up to ~3k suddenly, then comes back down to normal idle. Today it idled rough after a couple high revs, I shut it off, restarted and it started idling fine.

I checked the solenoid and it plunges fine. Anything else I can check before I go after the IP and injectors?

Passenger side lines are corroded so I'll probably have to replace those as well.
Uncontrolled rpm's are two things...
1. PMD issue
2. armature in the IP is worn/bad = injection pump replacement

Since you have replaced the PMD that leaves only the IP..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.