1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update: injection pump was the problem.

VIN 5B4KP42Y033368329
2003 Workhorse p42 NON-turbo 6.5 diesel

Hello all, long time lurker but just joined... the truck is a retired USPS stepvan bought from govdeals about 2 years ago..it was running ok until recently. I have read a few posts that had similar problem but the Original Posters have not shared what had repaired their issues.

The video makes it seem like I am letting off the pedal but I'm not. Also, when I try to accelerate, it sprays a lot of black smoke from the exhaust.

It had a P0251 code = injection pump fuel metering control "A" and I cleared it and it has not returned after over 100 miles.

I have already replaced the Dorman 904-104 PMD module that's mounted remotely and changed the oil.

I still need to replace the fuel filter.

Here is the video:

I am not sure what's next. I'm afraid it's an injector problem but I wanted to pick your brains before I go that route since the connections are very rusted.

·
Administrator
21,846 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
(y)

·
Administrator
21,846 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replaced fuel filter, air filter.

Added diesel clean to the bowl, let it idle for 2 min and shut it off for 30 min

NO CHANGE.

I noticed it is worse once the engine is warm.
When I floor it WOT at 35mph, there's no power, it does accelerate but smokes terribly (black smoke).

It sounds like the same problem in this thread:

Not sure what to do next, I use this truck for my plumbing business and just thinking about selling it at this point.

·
Administrator
21,846 Posts
Replaced fuel filter, air filter.

Added diesel clean to the bowl, let it idle for 2 min and shut it off for 30 min

NO CHANGE.

I noticed it is worse once the engine is warm.
When I floor it WOT at 35mph, there's no power, it does accelerate but smokes terribly (black smoke).

It sounds like the same problem in this thread:

Not sure what to do next, I use this truck for my plumbing business and just thinking about selling it at this point.
Go through all of the grounds using the link provided in the 6.5L FAQ page. Grounds-Grounds-Grounds The importance of good grounds.....

Install a piece of clear line on the return side of the Injection pump Question: - 1999 GMC Bluebird 6.5L TD - PMD &amp...

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,046 Posts
Check to ensure the injection pump mounting nuts are tight.I have seen cases where the injection pump was fluttering back and forth because it wasn’t fastened firmly in place.

Is fuel pressure decent leading to the fuel filter housing?Is P0251 still the only code?

·
Just add Fuel
648 Posts
You said the P0251 cleared and did not come back, but what is causing the SES light in your video?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will check the grounds and install the clear tube today.
The IP is hard to get to in the step van.
Is there anywhere I can install a fuel gauge on?

There are no issues at idle but it will smoke if I raise the RPMs.

The SES light is due to P0380 Glow/Plug Heater Circuit A because one of the connectors has corroded off. The truck still starts OK.

Seems like another one here with a similar issue. Asked him to update with his findings:

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
If you have one of the glow plug connectors corroded off, that will not set a P0380 code.

Conditions for Setting DTC P0380
• PCM has commanded glow plugs ON and
voltage at the glow plugs is less than 4.0 volts.
or
• PCM has commanded glow plugs OFF and
voltage at the glow plugs is greater than
4.0 volts.
or
• PCM has commanded glow plugs ON and there
is more than a 2 volt difference between glow
plug voltage and ignition voltage.

·
Administrator
21,846 Posts
I will check the grounds and install the clear tube today.
The IP is hard to get to in the step van.
Is there anywhere I can install a fuel gauge on?

There are no issues at idle but it will smoke if I raise the RPMs.

The SES light is due to P0380 Glow/Plug Heater Circuit A because one of the connectors has corroded off. The truck still starts OK.

Seems like another one here with a similar issue. Asked him to update with his findings:
You can T in a fuel gauge anywhere in between the lift pump and fuel filter housing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vertebrate Light Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Art Gas Wood

Unfortunately no change after cleaning the grounds.
There was no air bubbles in the clear tube.

I dont have a stalling issue.

In Park, I cannot gradually raise the RPMs, it just jump up to ~3k suddenly, then comes back down to normal idle. Today it idled rough after a couple high revs, I shut it off, restarted and it started idling fine.

I checked the solenoid and it plunges fine. Anything else I can check before I go after the IP and injectors?

Passenger side lines are corroded so I'll probably have to replace those as well.

·
Administrator
21,846 Posts
View attachment 646376
View attachment 646375

Unfortunately no change after cleaning the grounds.
There was no air bubbles in the clear tube.

I dont have a stalling issue.

In Park, I cannot gradually raise the RPMs, it just jump up to ~3k suddenly, then comes back down to normal idle. Today it idled rough after a couple high revs, I shut it off, restarted and it started idling fine.

I checked the solenoid and it plunges fine. Anything else I can check before I go after the IP and injectors?

Passenger side lines are corroded so I'll probably have to replace those as well.
Uncontrolled rpm's are two things...
1. PMD issue
2. armature in the IP is worn/bad = injection pump replacement

Since you have replaced the PMD that leaves only the IP..

·
Registered
10 Posts
VIN 5B4KP42Y033368329
2003 Workhorse p42 NON-turbo 6.5 diesel

Hello all, long time lurker but just joined... the truck is a retired USPS stepvan bought from govdeals about 2 years ago..it was running ok until recently. I have read a few posts that had similar problem but the Original Posters have not shared what had repaired their issues.

The video makes it seem like I am letting off the pedal but I'm not. Also, when I try to accelerate, it sprays a lot of black smoke from the exhaust.

It had a P0251 code = injection pump fuel metering control "A" and I cleared it and it has not returned after over 100 miles.

I have already replaced the Dorman 904-104 PMD module that's mounted remotely and changed the oil.

I still need to replace the fuel filter.

Here is the video:

I am not sure what's next. I'm afraid it's an injector problem but I wanted to pick your brains before I go that route since the connections are very rusted.
Do you have an EGR valve? I had a similar issue and wound up replacing the EGR solenoids as well as the MAP sensor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am not sure. I will check. I don't know what GM engine year these 6.5L non-turbo is compatible with.

Would unleaded fuel mixed with diesel cause the issues I am having? I remember it started happening after I filled it up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gasoline mixed with diesel...not sure what would happen but, it wouldn't be good. If you suspect this, I would drain all the fuel and start over. Additionally, if you have an EGR valve, it be in the center of the air cleaner once you remove the air cleaner lid. Should have a round vacuum diaphragm on a cast iron base.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gasoline mixed with diesel...not sure what would happen but, it wouldn't be good. If you suspect this, I would drain all the fuel and start over. Additionally, if you have an EGR valve, it be in the center of the air cleaner once you remove the air cleaner lid. Should have a round vacuum diaphragm on a cast iron base.
I'll drain, put everything back together and start over...
I'm thinking I should at least replace the injectors while I have the top apart and replace the fuel lines as well.

I do not have an EGR valve as shown in this picture:
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
632 Posts
OK. The van only has 60k miles. Surprised it would go bad at this low of a mileage.. i guess I'll have to order one.
It is quite possible that the USPS did not use a lubricity additive in their fuel tanks with each fill up. This is needed with ULSD. There are several on the market use 1oz per every 2 gallons of diesel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quick update:

Replaced all injectors, lifter pump, fuel filter and fuel lines... Still doing the same thing.
I bought a Stanadyne Reman pump from D&W Diesel, which is going in today&tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.