Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
After my 02 Dmax sits overnite it will not start until I prime the fuel filter by pumping up the knob on top of the fuel filter.is there an anti drain back valve in the filter that may be causing this. Has any one else had this problem and what caused it.

·
Administrator
17,649 Posts
After my 02 Dmax sits overnite it will not start until I prime the fuel filter by pumping up the knob on top of the fuel filter.is there an anti drain back valve in the filter that may be causing this. Has any one else had this problem and what caused it.
Welcome to DieselPlace

It's time to rebuild or replace your filter head.
The Orings inside of the primer will breakdown over time and allow air to enter the fuel system.

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the quick replies, I found out that the filter head repair kit is available locally and will get it installed ASAP. Will let you know if this corrects the problem.

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
Check all your hoses and lines too for leaks. Some of them can suck air without leaking noticeable fuel. Found that out the hard way.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I took it in to get the filter kit installed, when we looked at the filter and tried to remove it the filter was not really as tight as it should have been. Decided to just change the filter and see if that fixed the problem. That filter had been on the truck for 7 months and always worked OK but so far after changing just the filter truck starts good and runs fine. Going to let the truck sit for 4 or 5 days and see if it still starts OK. Will let you all know what happens.

·
Registered
16,230 Posts
did the truck start after sitting?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the truck started no problem after sitting for five days fired right up. Guess the filter not being tight enough was the problem. Thanks to all who offered assistance here especially Kennedy Diesel,I learned some things about the fuel system that I didn t know before and i have owned this truck for 18 years.

·
Administrator
17,649 Posts
Glad your issue is resolved.
Thanks for giving us an update!

:thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts