Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I had a question about the duramax and deisels in general. First my info; '03 chevy 2500HD crew/short box, 285 Nitto tires, Super Chips programmer, stock exhaust, stock air intake, lumber rack, tool box, and about 47K milage. I have experience a big drop in my mpg, it could be caused by some of these mods I have done but I also have a question about something else. I live in northern California where its been unseasonally cool, not like the north east part of teh country but cold for here. Outside temps have not been above 60 for the past 4-5 months so here is the questions.
1. Should I be using the chevy grill cover to help bring the engine temps up to operating levels?
2. How long should I let it warm up in the morning?
3. Could my mpg be effected by driving the truck before proper temperature has been reached? (I do alot of short drives in town and theres not enough time for engine to reach proper temp.)
4. What would you recomemd and a minimum warm up time in morning? (My house is close to other people sleeping in morning.)
Thanks for your time and any input you might have.
Eric

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Do a search on injector failure. It might be the injectors going. I am not the foremest expert I just know from first hand the LB7 have an injector problems. You can also do vin check to see all whats been done to your truck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have noticed a drop in MPG and i have been asking Truckers on the Highway and they say they notice this only in winter times because of a winter blend of diesel the fuel stations use.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mistake

Hey guys, I had a question about the duramax and deisels in general. First my info; '03 chevy 2500HD crew/short box, 285 Nitto tires, Hypertech programmer, stock exhaust, stock air intake, lumber rack, tool box, and about 47K milage. I have experience a big drop in my mpg, it could be caused by some of these mods I have done but I also have a question about something else. I live in northern California where its been unseasonally cool, not like the north east part of teh country but cold for here. Outside temps have not been above 60 for the past 4-5 months so here is the questions.
1. Should I be using the chevy grill cover to help bring the engine temps up to operating levels?
3. Could my mpg be effected by driving the truck before proper temperature has been reached? (I do alot of short drives in town and theres not enough time for engine to reach proper temp.)
4. What would you recomemd and a minimum warm up time in morning? (My house is close to other people sleeping in morning.)
Eric
I listed the wrong programmer

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Winter Fuel

I listed the wrong programmer
Hey guys, I had a question about the duramax and deisels in general. First my info; '03 chevy 2500HD crew/short box, 285 Nitto tires, Super Chips programmer, stock exhaust, stock air intake, lumber rack, tool box, and about 47K milage. I have experience a big drop in my mpg, it could be caused by some of these mods I have done but I also have a question about something else. I live in northern California where its been unseasonally cool, not like the north east part of teh country but cold for here. Outside temps have not been above 60 for the past 4-5 months so here is the questions.
Eric
Do you think that the fuel companies use this here in California?
Eric

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
The short trips in town with the temp not up to normal is hurting you.

I do the same here and get around 12-14 in town

Highway is better.

Too warm for you for winter cover.

The longer you let it sit and idle the worse your fuel mileage is since your not moving.

I start mine up let it run for 30 seconds and then go, taking it easy till it warms up.

Your figuring your mileage by hand right?

The tuner dosen't help because the temptation is there to push the pedal just a little bit more and more and then your mileage suffers.

What kind of mileage are you seeing anyway ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Diesel Dragon

I just filled my tank and I'm getting around 13.5 mpg, which is better than I thought but still not what it use to be. Yes, I am doing my milage by hand but I've done over teh past year and it was consistant every other time. I'd get about 400mls per tank, now its 330 to 340mls. Maybe I'm being picky but I'm new to diesel so I wasn't sure.
Eric

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
You changed your speedometer calibration for the 285 tires with the Hypertech right ?

If you did then I would say your not too far off, sounds like you use the truck for work with the tool box and ladder rack so it's probablly on the heavy side too.

How much were you getting before ?

Did the MPG change happen when the weather changed ?

13.5 is not too bad for what your doing comparing it to what I'm getting, others may comment diffrentlly.

Keep an eye on your oil just incase it is the injectors, it will also get tougher to start when the engine is already warmed up if it's injectors and see what the warmer weather brings along with the summer fuel.

Try going for a ride on the highway on the weekend to a nice vacation spot and see what mpg you get then. If nothing else it's a good excuse to get away for the weekend. :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Diesel Dragon

You changed your speedometer calibration for the 285 tires with the Hypertech right ?
Yes I did it with the Hypertech.

If you did then I would say your not too far off, sounds like you use the truck for work with the tool box and ladder rack so it's probablly on the heavy side too.
Not too heavy I think, maybe extra 500-600lbs at the most.

How much were you getting before ?
I was getting 15 to 15.5mpg before the tires and programmer. This is with the extra wieght.

Did the MPG change happen when the weather changed ?
It might have changed with the cold weather but I made these changes in Oct. - Nov. so its tough to say.

13.5 is not too bad for what your doing comparing it to what I'm getting, others may comment diffrentlly.

Keep an eye on your oil just incase it is the injectors, it will also get tougher to start when the engine is already warmed up if it's injectors and see what the warmer weather brings along with the summer fuel.
So it will get harder to start, if it is the injectors, when engine is warm and with summer fuel?

Try going for a ride on the highway on the weekend to a nice vacation spot and see what mpg you get then. If nothing else it's a good excuse to get away for the weekend. :lol:
True, I need one any ways, thanks for the help.
Eric

1 - 11 of 11 Posts