Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another thread someone asked about potential problems from overfilling the crankcase with 2qts. overfill. I can assure you this is nothing to worry about.

When I did my first oil change a year ago at 2700 miles, I drained 15 qts., that's 5 qts overfilled. Ultimately the dealer had no explanation, but said that any problems would show up prior to 100k (if any problem at all) and would be covered by warrant. I can only say that the dipstick was very difficult to read but typically showed about 1 1/2 inches over the full mark.

So far I have no problems (1 year since) and am following up with oil analysis to be sure. So far the analysis show some elevated wear metals and may be from still breaking in or high silicon levels(dirt). I will keep this updated as oil samples are taken.

I'm not sure where 1 1/2 inches overfill puts me in relation to the innerds of the engine and I have asked MANY experts. If anyone has a similar experience or knowledge of this engine and overfill, please chime in....SPICEREdited by: SPICER

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, here it is. 23,000 miles on the engine after it was delivered to me with the crankcase overfilled by 5 quarts for the first 2700 miles.

George at AV Lube helped me along in a plan to monitor the wear metal trends to see if any damage was done from overfilling with oil.

Coclusion: All clear!!!!

In hindsight it was this overfill issue that brought me to the forums. I have learned so much since then I would overfill my crankcase again just to have the knowledge I have gained!

Thanks to George for all of his expert help! SPICER

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Hey

Look at it this way. You dont have to worry about dry start up and low oil pressure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts