Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading my Owners Manual for the ’01 Silverado (imagine reading the manual!!!???) and the Diesel Supplement. I noted in the Owners manual that the Silverado has an “Engine Oil Life Monitor or a GM Oil Life System”. This is the system that tells you when to change the oil based on the driving conditions that the computer has monitored. Also in the Diesel Supplement are vast tables telling you when to change the oil on the Duramax.

With all this in mind, I have 2 questions:

Am I correct in assuming that the Duramax/Allison does not have the Engine Oil Life Monitor?

I found a connector going into the drivers sideof the oil pan on the engine. Can anyone tell me what this connector is for?

Thanks

·
Registered
747 Posts
My dmax has an engine oil life monitor, but I will not be using that as a reference as to when to change my oil. Whether or not a truck has it probably has to do with whether or not the truck has the DIC and the controls on the steering wheel. I don't know when they started offering this option.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mine also has the oil monitor, and I plan to use it, but I will probably change the oil at 30% life, as I don't think it takes into account the effects of aftermarket HP tunes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Isnt that thing just mileage based ? It goes off every 5k. You turn on the key but dont start and press the gas pedal all the way down 3 times to re set it. Worthless. What a waste of $$$ and they took out the under hood light and dual horn to save a buck

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mine went 8000 miles before the indicator came on and told me to change the oil. 2002 Duramax.
I farm and it gets treated rough! I often pull 20,000lbs loads and sometimes more then that. Then it sits and idles a lot too. I change oil at 3000 miles. Air filter on these things is a joke. 2 of them in between oil changes.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information. The Diesel Supplement did not give any indication of having the Monitor on the Duramax. I intend to change the oil every 4,000 miles no matter what.

It is my understanding the Monitor takes into account things like idle time, stop and go driving, towing and so forth. It did say that it does not account for dust and that you should not let it go over 10,000 miles.

I will just let the monitor go and see how long it takes for it to come on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The oil life monitor takes into account the engine oil temp and time at a given temp. As it turns out, oil breakdown is very predictable.

Thus, the oil monitor will take into account any mods you do on the truck.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My truck has 11,000 miles on it and I am going to start using the Engine oil life monitor.

I changed the oil at 3000 miles and 10,000 miles on the motor. So the 10 K oil change had 7K on it (Oil life monitor did not come on).

I sent the 7K oil for a sample by Blackstone Labs. It came back showing a TBN of 10.6 and a soot level of .2 and additive package numbers were all high. This showed that a lot of life was left in the oil @ 7K. (I posted the total results in another thread in this forum: http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1722&PN=2 )

The only thing is that the silicone level was very high. From threads in this forum this is the result of sand residue from manufacture.

Now knowing this I most likely should have changed the oil sooner in the begining just to get the sand out.

But it looks like the Duramax and today's diesel oils can handle 10K plus oil changes.

So it looks safe to use the oil life monitor.Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just changed out my oil to the Mobile Delvac 1 and I already like the cold morning starts. On most of my vehicles I have gone 3500 miles between oil changes except for my duramax. I went 5000 miles this time only because I wanted to change over to synthetics. Otherwise I was planning on going to 7500 miles. Since I paid $28 a gallon for this Mobile Delvac 1 I am going to run it to 7500 miles and just change the filter add another quart and keep going to 15000. But I will send off for an analysis at 7500, 10000 and 12500. If each one looks good I will know that I am good to go at 15000 mile changes with a new filter every 7500.

Now I have a question: Is there anyone in here that sells this Mobile Delvac 1 for cheaper then $28 a gallon? And does anyone have the Mobile filters for the duramax? I can't find anyone in Anchorage alaska that carries it, and there is only one place here that carries the Mobile Delvac 1, so they can have any price they want. I was looking for a K&N oil filter for the duramax but they say they don't make one yet but they are working on one now. Has anyone heard differently?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Check out www.avlube.com - buy four quarts of mobil delvac-1 for $83 plus change.

jeff

Edited by: dmax lover

·
Registered
433 Posts
Wow, you had me scarred there. I almost didn't look at the website if just 4 quarts were $83. But I did look and that seems like a pretty good price, but shipping to Alaska would put me back into the same situation.
Guess I will just have to suck it up and pay the price or move out of Alaska.... hmmmm I will pay the price...
I can't give up my hunting and fishing.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have been using Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 since 7000 miles (now at 23000 miles) which I stocked up on when the price was $12.84 per gallon at WalMart. I was at a WalMart in Brunswick NY last night and it was on the shelf at that price.

I would use Delvac 1 if it were easier to get locally, but it is not. I use Delvac 1300 in an old Mercedes I use.I have seen some Oil Analysis figures with the Rotella Synthetic on the BobIstheOilGuy site and they look pretty good.

I am changing my oil when the DIC shows about 30% life remaining.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Anyone using Chevron Delo 400 HD motor oil, it appears to meet all the requirements of the Duramax and is available at Costco for around 9 bux a gallon.

http://www.oilanalysis.com/message_boards/message_details_by_list.asp?foldername=Chevron+Delo+400&messagenumber=1%20 and

Delo® 400 Multigrade Heavy Duty Motor Oil 15W-40 Performance
<UL>
<LI>First oil to allow the diesel engines of the three leading U.S. manufacturers to run for over 1,000,000 miles without an overhaul.
<LI>It exceeds the tougher performance standards for the new API CH-4 service classification of modern, electronically controlled, low-emission engines.
<LI>It exceeds the performance requirements of the Mack EO-M Plus, Cummins CES 20076 and Volvo VDS-2 specifications.
<LI>Its exclusive ISODEWAXING technology rivals synthetics in critical engine tests.
<LI>It offers an optimal blend of dispersants, detergents, oxidation inhibitors, antiwear, corrosion inhibitors, viscosity improvers and defoaming additives. </LI>[/list]

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I've used Rotella-T 15W40 for most of the time that I've owned my truck. I shift to the 5W40 Rotella for the Winter. I've been using Mobil Delvac 1300 for the last couple of changes and had good results. I'll be going back to the 5W40 Rotella soon on my 75,000 mile oil and filter. Once I go through some the the "stockpiled" lubricants (still have at least one change of Delvac 1300 and Rotella 15W40 in the garage) I plan to probably go Mobil Delvac One year-round. I change my oil and filter every 7,500 miles and my bypass cartridge every other change or 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I like the DIC as I start taking notice when oil life gets under 40% and this allows me to plan out when I'll be doing the next change. Typically, I shoot for 30% or just above and if I end up having to postpone, it's still nowhere near critical.

·
Registered
994 Posts
plrod,

I used Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 for the first 12k miles on the truck. Chevron Delo 400 is an excellent oil. The current product is "CI" rated. For a "dino" oil, you cannot go wrong with this product.

The $9 per gallon seems a little high. I thought I paid about $6 per gallon for the stuff at Costco. It is also widely available at parts stores, truck stops, etc.

Alan

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with OC_DMAX, $9.00 per gallon for Delo 400 is high. It's a little over $6.00 at my local Wallmart. It's good oil!Edited by: BVoyles

·
Registered
444 Posts
plrod,

I used Chevron Delo 15W-40 as my non-winter oil and it's my oil of choice. I will go back to it when it gets warmer. It's an excellent oil. I did a lot of research and it's specs are pretty close to that of a synthetic. It also has a very good additive package.

I had the oil tested when I changed it with 7,000 miles on it:

http://dieselplace.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1722&PN=2

The findings showed viscosity, additive package, TBN and soot level well within range. I could have easily gone 15,000 on the oil it looks like. Not that I ever would, I am too set in my old ways... Going 7000 had me worried. That why I tested it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
thanks for the responses; my math was off; I paid around 35 for 6 gallons which is in the 6 dollar range which is what you folks are reporting. I'm doing my first change now at 7300 miles; where is the bypass cartridge located anyway?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts