Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the truck running and driveable, but one thing that I have noticed is that there is a lot of "clack" to it. I have replaced the IP with a rebuilt unit, and I advanced it about a lines width to the driver's side. Should I still run a rebuilt IP advanced? My question is what causes the "clacking" in a diesel? What can be done to minimize it? Also, I was thinking that I might need injectors? Would dirty/plugged injectors cause this noise?

I just replaced the rear main tonight, and I pulled some of the bearing caps, and everything looked good. When the engine is hot, it idles with 25-30psi and at cruise, approx. 50psi. Considering the good oil pressure and the condition of the main and rod bearings, I doubt that it's something internal with the engine. Also, there was no signs of metal or the like when I had the pan down.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?:help:

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Timing could be too far advanced. Find the advance lever on the injection pump passenger side, with engine running at idle, depress lever fully, this will retard the timing, engine should stumble and run rough, if the speed just slows down some, timing is too far advanced. Also, is cold advance coming off when engine warms up? cold advance solenoid is on top of injection pump to the left of the fuel solenoid. It should turn off at about 100 degrees of coolant temp.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts