Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am accelerating rather quickly, the engine will change "tones". It goes from being semi-quiet, to sounding like a 6.2. It usually does it prior to shifting. It does it regardless of the load, so I am assuming it's normal, and it has done it since it was new (my dad owned the truck prior to me). I imagine it's been discussed before, so give me the quick-and-dirty on it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's about the RPM range the truck is in when it happens. I had searched some before posting, but there were so many engine noise topics that I wasn't sure where to look. Thanks for giving me a starting point! Now I can search/read/learn more on the subject.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My engine makes noise when it's running too! :joke: If you think your engine is noisy, go check out Dogde, you can here one of them babies cummins miles away. If it's been that way since it was new, then why is it a concern now? I'd guess that you're talking about the normal diesel noise. It will change it's tone at different rpm's and loads. JMO I'm no expert by any degree, the other guys on here are the experts.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Probably just the pilot injection turning off, competely normal. I think it happens over 2300? rpm.
After reading more on it, that's exactly what I'm hearing. Thanks again for the reply!

trailbossusa - I test drove an 03 Dodge before getting this truck. It was much louder than this, but a loud diesel rattle wasn't a concern for me. I love it actually.

My dad wouldn't have bothered to have it checked out until it left him stranded somewhere :badidea:, and me being in college and living 4.5 hours away from home, I couldn't ever drive it enough to check it out more. Since I own it now, I have been able to get used to it and it's noises. It wasn't really a concern for me since I didn't find any metal in the oil/filter, and it never threw a code so I was just curious as to what I was hearing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts