Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had an engine miss at idle start right after i accidently stalled my truck about a month ago. My truck has about 39000 miles on it, original clutch and flywheel. Ive checked and re-checked injector balence rates and fuel rail pressures and everything checks out. Its an intermittant problem that only happens at idle and sometimes fast idle. stepping on the clutch while its missing will stop it for a second and then it starts again. The miss is rythmic, it will shake then smooth out, shake then smooth out and so on. I was able to check balence rates when it was acting up and they all jump alll over the place, all 8 cylinders, they all look good when its idling smooth. This makes me think its not fuel system related because the computer is jumping all over the place trying to correct it. I originally thought and Kyle (crank it up diesel performance) also thought it was probably a DMF. I'm thinking that two plates are shifting and sending pulses through the crank that causes irractic speed. The thing is, i dont get any other rattle like the typical rattle with the clutch half in that others have gotten when their DMF failed. It seems to be making a little more noise when idling (esp after a long drive) than in the past but its always been loud. Also, recently i have noticed on the highway there sooms to be a very slight vibration (can feel it, not hear it) with certain amount of throttle, stepping on the throttle makes it go away, i only notice it at about 65 MPH 6th gear, faster or slower i dont notice it. It may just be me being overcritical though.

I'm about to install a SBC SMF and dual disk cause i wanted one eventually anyways and i think the DMF is causing my engine to "miss" at idle esp since this started after a stall which may have screwed something up in the junk DMF. Anyone else think the flywheel is causing my problems? Just looking for other opinions to back me up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hello 05dmax Dont know about the miss, But i had very bad vibration on my 3rd dmf when it whent bad. the first 2 dmf's no vibes, just chatter:eek: when #4 goes south, south bend for mee...your the first one on the miss, sorry if this doesnt help:cool:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
from what your saying i would say its flywheel related, my bad flywheel never made noise but it would slip alot and vibrate like a engine miss!!!

Good luck,
Caleb

·
Registered
138 Posts
My pick-up had the exact same miss that you are talking about and it was the DMF. It never had any clutch rattle, just every once in awhile it would start idling rough like it had bad fuel or something. this went on for 1 1/2 years ( I didn't know about this web site or that I even had a DMF at that time) then it would come out of it and idle fine for day or two then same rough idle again. It kept getting worse and I started noticing a vibration when driving it. Anyways when I finally had DMF replaced the problems went away.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, thats what i was thinking. I just wanted to see if it had happened to anyone else.

Caleb, I havent been to my parents for a few months so thats why i havent gotten ahold of you to ride/drive your truck to see the SBC SMF and clutch.

I just recently called Crank It Up Diesel to price me up a SBC clutch setup. Probably going to get it installed very soon. From what i hear it is an awesome setup and i dont think driving one is going to change my mind against getting one. I was only really worried about peddle effort but it seems that its not going to be that bad, just gonna take a little getting used to.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yeah peddal effort wont be a issue at all the only thing that i dont love 100% about the clutch kit is the WTF looks you get from people from the rattle!!!! Are you having you kit installed or are you doing it yourself? if your doing it yourself let me know if you need any advice or anything!

Later,
Caleb

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am friends with the guys at Crank It Up Diesel, so I'm going to have them help me install it. They have done a few already, but i will definatly keep you in mind if we run into any trouble, thanks for the offer.

Does it mainly rattle when the clutch is engaged in neutral or does it rattle just as bad with the clutch is disengaged in neutral or in gear? I think I'm going to try the fluidampr front harmonic balencer to see if it settles the extra noise a little. I know someone posted about testing one so if anyone has installed one please report back on how much it quieted things down.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
ok good deal, yeah the guys at crank it up know what their doing! it mostly rattles when in neutral-clutch out, or when lugging the engine down low you will get some noise, clutch in you will notice a whisking type sound of the plate sliding past each other!!!
I posted about the fluidamper but haven tried on because of the cost and it probaly wont eliminate that much of the sound for the $ anyway JMO!
Good luck let me know how it turns out!
Caleb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts