Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6.2 in a 1986 M1009. Unknown mileage, has been my daily driver for 3 years. The truck has been getting harder to start lately, which I think is due to bad glow plugs. I'm going to check those this afternoon.

It also REALLY struggles at elevation or on steep climbs. It will run 70mph on the highway no problem at sea level, but a few weeks back I had it on a mountain road up at 8500' and it would barely climb at 15 mph at wide open throttle. New air filter, new fuel filter, brakes properly adjusted/not dragging.

i have a factory 6.5 turbo setup I'll be installing this year. What maintenance/testing should I do to ensure the engine is in good shape and address any potential issues before the turbo goes on? Rebuild injector pump? Test/replace injectors? Head gaskets/studs?

This truck is my daily driver, restoration project and off road toy all in one and I'm willing to spend money to make it nice, but don't want to replace parts for no reason. Given it's 35 years old and of unknown maintenance history for 32 of those years, what should I be looking at specifically on the engine? I've been through just about every other part of the truck now, so just the engine is left.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Bad lift pump maybe. Wouldnt hurt to run a compression check on it. Hard starting could be a mix of low compression, bad glow plugs, or even a worn IP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bad lift pump maybe. Wouldnt hurt to run a compression check on it. Hard starting could be a mix of low compression, bad glow plugs, or even a worn IP.
Lift pump is new in the last year. I'm planning to add a pressure gauge after the filter to ensure good fuel pressure to the injector pump, but haven't done that yet.

Also don't have a diesel compression tester. Will need to pick one of those up.

Thanks for the suggestions

1 - 3 of 3 Posts