Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to Tug Hill to snowmobile and got going down the road, went to pass a car and lost all power. Truck wouldn't go above 2000 rpm. Had to limp it a ways to nearest dealer and was really dying going up a hill. So I had to pull over again and so I shut it off for a while, started it up and it took off fine then did it all over again. Oh and btw it was smoking like crazy on and off; white smoke. It was also like -5 F out. No SES light at all. Dealer scanned it and said it indicated low fuel rail pressure. Replaced fuel filter and got me home because they(dealer) were closing, and it will now go above 2000 rpm but still stutters. What happened. It's not the cac boot or injector harness(I wrapped it w/rubber hose). Is it bad injectors, turbo, what?

·
Registered
15 Posts
sounds like fuel.do you treat it?likely gelled or water froze in filter.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Sounds like gelling.Why don't you try Meltdown.A couple times I forgot to treat{I swear by Howes Lubricator},had some mild gelling,poured in Meltdown--good to go in about 30 minutes.How's the hill? I'm planning either there or Vermont,leaving early Thurs. AM

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Meltdown will get the fuel flowing again, but I would recommend strong dosing with FPPF Total Power in all of your fuel to keep it flowing, clean, happy, and lubricated.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
''to keep it flowing, clean, happy, and lubricated.''

Sounds like what the urologist said to his patient.:joke: :joke: Howe's will do all the above and more,not knocking FPPF or any other additive,just know for a fact what works here in the NY area for me,all my diesel iron and trucks,and other contractors with diesels.NOT a Howes dealer. ""YOU GO OR HOWES PAYS THE TOW''--Nuff said.:exactly:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am doubting very much it was fuel gelling. I use Power Sevice religeously. I have for 9 years in my 6.2 and never had a problem. But that is what I thought too. I did a treatment of Power Service Rescue 911 and that didn't do it either. I put a 1/4 tank of fuel through the truck after the 911 treatment with no change. It didn't act like it gelled and still has a stutter to it today. Why would it only hit 1900 rpm and thats it with no SES light? It was like it had a governer or rev limiter on. Another quick ?. With truck in park it will only throttle up to 2400 rpm and acts like it has a governer that won't let it go higher. Is this normal?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Only if you have gelling still going on.Why don't you change your fuel filter ASAP and then see? I did'nt get your answer yet on the snowmobiling, but anyway all rooms are solidly booked at the hill--going to Speculator--they just got a foot. Good luck

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
could it be the injector harness:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
It seems like a lot of that post with this problem are using Power Service. I use it and had the exact same problem. Has this happend to anyone that uses any of the other additives? I am only asking so I know if I should switch brands or if it will even help.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
could it be the injector harness:confused:
I put a piece of rubber hose around that a long time ago so it wouldn't b that. Now if you get up to speed and give it light throttle at around 1500 rpm it is stuttering. Goes in tomorrow and I will post the results.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tug Hill

Sounds like gelling.Why don't you try Meltdown.A couple times I forgot to treat{I swear by Howes Lubricator},had some mild gelling,poured in Meltdown--good to go in about 30 minutes.How's the hill? I'm planning either there or Vermont,leaving early Thurs. AM
By the way Tug Hill was awesome. Smooth as I have ever seen. Lots of snow the farther north you go. Like towards Coppenhagen and Loweville. Stay away on the weekends-really rough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts