Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

A couple of days ago, the truck started knocking and belching black smoke with any acceleration. At idle, the truck idles smooth and quiet.

Dealer changed out a defective fuel level sending unit last week. While they had it, they flashed the dash. My DIC now displays a Fuel Filter Life.

I changed fueling station and added a double dose of fuel additives, drove it to work ( 110 miles). No change, except that the truck is now hard to start. Once it starts, it runs, knocks and smokes.

The dealer assures me that they changed all the filters and fluids before I picked the truck up, but I can't prove it.

I did check the injector harness and found a White/Green wire with wear down to the conductor. I wrapped it in tape and isolated it from everything and drove it. No change.

The truck is an 05 LLY. I have seen a post about a possible error in flashing for the air intake, could be the problem ?

Any help and/or advise would just make my Christmas...

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas !

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
updated sig

·
Registered
62 Posts
Off road desiel will cause carbon to buildup if you have used it you would need to have the intake cleaned, or just let it wear off. Thats what I was told by my dealer, did the cleaning and haven't had a problem since.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't used an off-road fuel. How involved is the intake cleaning ?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Maybe this will help. Mine did that for a couple of weeks before I found the problem. Trying to correct ANOTHER problem, I started using some fuel booster/additive (not octain booster but that diesel...zetain or whatever booster) & that was causing mine. If your using a fuel BOOSTER, you might try ... stop using it. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine started smoking before I added the additive. Going to the dealership tomorrow. They seem to think that the wrong air system flash was installed. We'll see.........

thanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
Off road desiel will cause carbon to buildup if you have used it you would need to have the intake cleaned, or just let it wear off. Thats what I was told by my dealer, did the cleaning and haven't had a problem since.
HAHA! Off road fuel is no different than on-road fuel. It has a pink/red die added...that's it.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Truck went to the dealer on the back of a tow truck.
Would not start.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dealer just called. Three bad injectors.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
injectors #1, #4, and #7 all showed out of range...truck runs like a champs now....

·
Registered
246 Posts
HAHA! Off road fuel is no different than on-road fuel. It has a pink/red die added...that's it.
Actually it is different, if nothing else other than the dye it has more ppm sulfur than on road diesel.

If anything, the off road MAY be better for older engines as those engines were designed to run with a different ppm of sulfur content in the fuel than the current fuel has.

That is illegal though, and in the US you face federal penalties for Tax Evasion and for EPA violations if caught... I'm not saying it doesn't get run by a lot of people regardless of the risks though. :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Actually it is different, if nothing else other than the dye it has more ppm sulfur than on road diesel.

If anything, the off road MAY be better for older engines as those engines were designed to run with a different ppm of sulfur content in the fuel than the current fuel has.

That is illegal though, and in the US you face federal penalties for Tax Evasion and for EPA violations if caught... I'm not saying it doesn't get run by a lot of people regardless of the risks though. :)
I've been told by several fuel suppliers that it is absolutely no different (aside from the dye) and many many members here have reported the same. Off road is ULSD with pink dye.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts