Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6.2L diesel engine in my 1990 GMC Suburban blew up.
I found a seller that has multiple 6.2L diesel engines from millitary hummbies (1987 to 1990)
I was wondering if anybody here knows if the engine from these hummbies would fit in my Suburban. My biggest concern is the mounting brackets.
I know that I have to replace all the electrical since these hummbies run on 24V versus my Suburban that runs on 12V.
Any help would be gladdly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Its the same engine just has a bit more power than civilian models. You can probably convert it back to 12v using the suburbans injection pump.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mattster;1770257; said:
Its the same engine just has a bit more power than civilian models. You can probably convert it back to 12v using the suburbans injection pump.
Right, but am I going to have any issues with the mounting brackets?
In other words, are the mounting brackets on the same spots, or I am going to have to re-frame the mounting brackets.
As you can see, this is my first time replacing a engine.:D

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :welcome2:

You should be able to swap the accessories off of your current engine onto the military engine. They're the same engine just with different stuff bolted on...

Is your Suburban a 1/2 or 3/4 ton?

Welcome again! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
High Sierra 2500;1770377; said:
Welcome to the forum! :welcome2:

You should be able to swap the accessories off of your current engine onto the military engine. They're the same engine just with different stuff bolted on...

Is your Suburban a 1/2 or 3/4 ton?

Welcome again! :)
It is a 3/4 ton.
Forgive my ignorance, but I am still worry about if the the mounting brackets are in the same place. Do you think it should match with no problems?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts
Unless your burb is a 4x4 with a lift, you will have to change the oil pan. The hummer uses a 10 quart oil pan that could have an interferance problem with your front axle:eek: other than that, the basic engine is exactly the same. You will have to use your existing water pump also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a 4x4 but it has not lift as far as I know. Hopefully it would fit because I have no other pan.

I'll keep you posted throughout the project.
Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dont sweat the 24v either. If your running a mechanical pump now, all you have to do is swap covers on the IP (3 screws) and reconnect the shut of solonoid wire.

Othe than the oilpan, the mil spec engine is exactly the same as the civvie engine in terms of bolt holes, etc. Remove all the bits off your motor, put them on the new one, re-install, enjoy!

Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just finished swapping a hummer engine into my 1989 2500 chevy pickup.
If you have any questions, I probably just had the same experience and will be glad to help.

Just a couple of things I noted when doing my swap. The military uses different sensors and you may have to replace some of them with stock sensors in order to match your wiring. Also the military uses a few more sensors than mine had on it. You will either have to pull them and put a plug in their place or just leave them and trim the wiring.

The oil pan as well as the oil pick up on the bottom of the block will need to be changed out, as they are both to large for stadard applications.

I had to use my intake manifold as well, but that is only because I still use my brick style fule filter/warmer and it mounts to the back of my inake manifold.

I had to change all the pullies as well in order to fit my serpentine belt system.

I used my flywheel and clutch plate too, as the engine did not come with one.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Where did you get the replacement for the oil pan and pickup? I'm now tearing the 350 out of a 1991 C1500 and gearing up to stuff an army 6.2L into it. I was concerned about that huge oil pan - it sounds like it will need to go.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got mine from my old engine, I know that doesn't help you much, but if you can find an old 6.2 laying around, you could pull one of of that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Boskee;1774173; said:
I had to use my intake manifold as well, but that is only because I still use my brick style fule filter/warmer and it mounts to the back of my inake manifold.
Hmmm. My van is set up for a fuel filter mounted to the back of the manifold, and I just sent away for a HMMWV manifold. There is no way to bolt a fuel filter housing to the HMMWV manifold ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
The stock intake manifold has an extra "ledge" with tapped holes for mounting the filter. The hummer one does not. This however is not that big of a problem, as you can easily relocate the brick filter by making a mounting bracket and putting it on the fire wall or elsewhere if you want.
The filter does not have to be mounted to the intake manifold, I chose to for simplicity as the truck was needed for transporation and I didn't feel like taking to time to do the modification needed to relocate my filter. I plan on doing it later this summer when things slow down for me a bit.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Boskee;1774648; said:
I got mine from my old engine, I know that doesn't help you much, but if you can find an old 6.2 laying around, you could pull one of of that.
Thanks - I think I know where one is parked, I'll stop by later this evening and see if it is still there! :D

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Hmmm. My van is set up for a fuel filter mounted to the back of the manifold, and I just sent away for a HMMWV manifold. There is no way to bolt a fuel filter housing to the HMMWV manifold ?
You'll probably have to relocate the filter assembly. Another option would be to purchase a J-code intake off of a late model ('90s) civilian J-code which has the filter on the back of the manifold, but it sounds like you already bought the manifold...

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'll take a look at it when it arrives, and compare it to the J code that's on there now. Maybe an ear with two holes for the bracket bolts could be welded on to it, I dunno. There's not a lot of room in the vans engine compartment as it is, and not many places to mount that filter. The back of the manifold seems to be the best location, that's probably why the vans came like that to begin with.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If yo uguys decide to get rid of the hummer oil pan and pick up please keep me in mind i would like to use one for my convertion.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I'll take a look at it when it arrives, and compare it to the J code that's on there now. Maybe an ear with two holes for the bracket bolts could be welded on to it, I dunno. There's not a lot of room in the vans engine compartment as it is, and not many places to mount that filter. The back of the manifold seems to be the best location, that's probably why the vans came like that to begin with.
Why are you bothering replacing a J-code intake with a hummer intake?

·
Registered
249 Posts
High Sierra 2500;1775853; said:
Why are you bothering replacing a J-code intake with a hummer intake?
Heard it is a better design that flows way more air, and I like to tinker on engine systems to learn them, in general. I have to take the one on there off anyway to get at that IP, when I get to trying out this surplus "DB2829-4879" military pump down the road. My mileage has gone down lately, and this truck is pretty damn heavy. Starts real quick from cold, the engine itself is good and strong...if there was room in there, I would even try that "dual snorkel" approach pictured on here.

I guess I can't afford a turbo...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.