Diesel Place banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Resident Gynecologist....
4,280 Posts
In an effort to lessen underhood wiring and clutter, the grid heater is now built with it's control relay within. The element is stupid simple, but, the relay is still subject to failure, as is any high current switch. The failure here is from the heater being latched on until it heatsoaked enough to melt itself. With the engine running, incoming air kept it from saturating, hence the meltdown after key off.

The engineering oversight of leaving integrated, unproven, undersized, relay components "battery live" shows up in many places.
Silverado/ Sierra dash fires due to failure "latching" of the internal relay in the HVAC module.
F150s with the cruise control (subject to a national recall) due to being battery hot, and latching on when the internals fail.
I know there are many more examples, but the solution is to remove power to all this "****" when the key is turned off. Any high current device needs to NOT be battery live at key off.

If properly designed, like most of my heavy equipment, a main power relay disables ALL wiring circuits at key off, save for the 16 gauge wire to the keyswitch and a few constants to the ECMs and other devices that need power for their memory.
That's why my aux fusebox on the truck goes thru a 100amp continuous rated relay. I turn the key off, it kills everything. simples.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Got my truck back from the dealership today! Nice to have some power under the skinny pedal again... The 03 Tahoe with the 5.3L just doesn't compare, lol!

Anyways, GM did not replace the head gaskets. I informed them of the TSB on the leak through the glow plugs. They topped the coolant up and told me to bring it back once it runs out again. It's already below the min fill line again, so I doubt it'll be too long before they have to admit that it is a failed head gasket. The good news is that the service writer told me they would replace both head gaskets at the same time even if only one head is found to be bad.

So, the saga continues, but at least I have my truck back for a few weeks before it goes back in again.

·
Resident Gynecologist....
4,280 Posts
I would still see about GM buying the damn thing back off you

·
Registered
323 Posts
Time to spend a hundred bucks to have so junkyard dog lawyer send them a kiss of death letter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got my truck back from the dealership today! Nice to have some power under the skinny pedal again... The 03 Tahoe with the 5.3L just doesn't compare, lol!

Anyways, GM did not replace the head gaskets. I informed them of the TSB on the leak through the glow plugs. They topped the coolant up and told me to bring it back once it runs out again. It's already below the min fill line again, so I doubt it'll be too long before they have to admit that it is a failed head gasket. The good news is that the service writer told me they would replace both head gaskets at the same time even if only one head is found to be bad.

So, the saga continues, but at least I have my truck back for a few weeks before it goes back in again.

talk with your insurance company... i had a duramax sunk in water last year and after i was talking with the estimator, he told me any water up to the bottom of the dash or ANY fire in a vehicle makes it an instant write off in Alberta. Alberta transportation is afraid gremlins will appear at highways speeds and cause huge accidents. so you might have an out on this truck if you want to go down that route. not sure how true this is

AMP is one of the worst dealerships i have ever ran into. i still have a suburban with a CEL for a fuel evap code and the jerks down there said they cannot replicate and will not fix under warranty... 2 years later. i now have my cruise control not working, lets see if they will do this under warranty or not

and yes they are now up to $250/hr shop rate and they built a 7 story parkade just to park the vehicles needing repairs, wait times are up to 4 weeks long... worst dealership ever

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I wonder if the grid heaters burning up has anything to do with the new ECM calibration that came out. Apparently the cold-start emissions were not good enough and so GM had to revise the calibration slightly to be incompliance. One side effect of the new calibration is a low-voltage light after startup. Im sure there are other posts about this on the forum.

Reactions: Andrewb115

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
talk with your insurance company... i had a duramax sunk in water last year and after i was talking with the estimator, he told me any water up to the bottom of the dash or ANY fire in a vehicle makes it an instant write off in Alberta. Alberta transportation is afraid gremlins will appear at highways speeds and cause huge accidents. so you might have an out on this truck if you want to go down that route. not sure how true this is

AMP is one of the worst dealerships i have ever ran into. i still have a suburban with a CEL for a fuel evap code and the jerks down there said they cannot replicate and will not fix under warranty... 2 years later. i now have my cruise control not working, lets see if they will do this under warranty or not

and yes they are now up to $250/hr shop rate and they built a 7 story parkade just to park the vehicles needing repairs, wait times are up to 4 weeks long... worst dealership ever

If it has another fire, I'll let it burn to the ground next time. And yes, AMP is by far the worst dealership in the province. I've had reasonable service from Peterson GMC in Sherwood Park though once I had a tech of theirs get a harness with his power polisher and grind all the insulation off the top couple of wires and try to blame it on rodent damage (lol?!). They did replace the harness free of charge on a truck that was totally out of warantee (in for the vane position sensor) without any complaints and dealt with their lying technician accordingly.

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
What years do you think are affected? My brother has a 09 Dmax, don't need his burning down with his camper on.

$250 an hour, holy ****, :eek:

·
Registered
124 Posts
The worst of it is that GM won't even provide me with a loaner vehicle to drive. It annoys me to no end that I felt the need to buy a second vehicle and keep it registered / insured as a backup to my Sierra because I can't trust it to be my only means of transportation.
Not having a loaner would send me to GM Customer Service that moment! :eek:

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Not having a loaner would send me to GM Customer Service that moment! :eek:
Even GM Canada told me that they do not provide a loaner for vehicles that are being repaired under the federal emissions warantee.

Today my low coolant alarm rang in on the DIC. I'll be taking it to the dealership tomorrow so they can have a look.

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
Today my low coolant alarm rang in on the DIC. I'll be taking it to the dealership tomorrow so they can have a look.
The head gaskets they failed to find?

·
Registered
213 Posts
You would think that if the relay for the IAH got stuck on, you would notice low voltage when you were driving. With upwards of 175 amp draw from the IAH, along with all the other electrical load, there is no way the alternator(s) could keep up.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
You would think that if the relay for the IAH got stuck on, you would notice low voltage when you were driving. With upwards of 175 amp draw from the IAH, along with all the other electrical load, there is no way the alternator(s) could keep up.
I wasn't driving the truck. Infact, the keys were in my pocket and I was standing about 20ft away talking with a visitor when he noticed smoke rolling out from under the hood!

I definitely would have noticed the voltage drop if I was driving it and it got stuck on. I also don't think it would have started on fire either due to the air flow cooling the heating element.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I wasn't driving the truck. Infact, the keys were in my pocket and I was standing about 20ft away talking with a visitor when he noticed smoke rolling out from under the hood!

I definitely would have noticed the voltage drop if I was driving it and it got stuck on. I also don't think it would have started on fire either due to the air flow cooling the heating element.
That's crazy it happened. I was thinking maybe you were driving it, didn't notice the draw, shut it off, and the IAH continued to heat up. What a poorly designed system if it can randomly turn on and get stuck on without the truck ever being started. I thought I had a lot of issues with my 2011 LML, but this takes the cake. I would take my old LBZ back in a minute. That was a great engine without all this emissions ****.

·
Registered
173 Posts
On your coolant leak,I have seen a few block heaters leaking, coolant runs out and down the cord.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I got a call from GM the other day. I guess they did a bunch of testing and investigating on my failed intake heater and were unable to find anything wrong with it (despite being melted). Infact, it was still working on the bench. They asked me to bring my truck back in to the dealership next week so they can replace the glow plug module, all the wiring and all the glow plugs.

I am hoping that they are honest and when they spot the coolant on the glow plugs that they replace the blown head gaskets at the same time. I changed the coolant bottle out but I am still loosing coolant. I have verified that the block heater, rad, all hoses and even the heater core are not leaking which only leaves one place for it to be going.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Don't know how hot the fore was, but I wouldn't bet my life on the gaskets holding.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Well, one year and many more DPF and EGR problems later my truck decided to start on fire again. I lucked out again and it decided to burn while I am visiting at my parents place and parked far enough away from anything that we only lost some siding on the shop. Normally this truck is parked inside my garage with all my tools, project vehicles etc.

My truck is a total loss, there is nothing left from the cab forward. I had my computer, most of my clothing, wallet with all my ID, a ton of recovery, winter and survival gear, tools and countless other things inside. No sign of any of it, it's all gone.

Thanks GM, its been fun. I've been a life long GM fan until now. My 03 Tahoe will be my principle driver now until I decide if I want an F450 regular cab or extended cab to replace my truck.

Attachments

·
diesel pro
788 Posts
Holy Crap ! Unbelievable story....Best thing that could have happened is your pile of crap burnt to the ground. Sorry you lost you personal belonging. I think your dealership has allot of ownership in your experience with your truck. Allot of the BS could have been prevented IMHO....GM owes you a free truck for your troubles. I just ordered a 2015 and after reading this account I may cancel that order and look at one of the other manufacturers offering. best of luck with whatever you end up with. You deserve a better experience for the amount Of cash these trucks cost. Much better attention ! Losing customers is something GM can ill afford with all the attention they have been getting lately in the National News....

41 - 60 of 94 Posts