Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else hear of this happening? I parked my 2012 Sierra beside my shop, shut it down, took the key out and was tinkering with my sled when I had a buddy stop in. While we are talkinghe notices smoke rolling out from under the hood of my truck. Ran over, popped the hood and the grid heater is fully engulfed in smoke and has a 4 - 5" flame coming up off the melted / burning plastic housing. I happened to have the right size wrench in hand to disconnect the batteries and put the fire out with some snow. Doesn't look like much else got hurt in the fire, but the entire truck reeks of burnt electrical and plastic inside and out.

GM sent a roll deck out to pick it up and haul it off to the dealership. Has anyone else had this happen or hear of it happening? I was frankly shocked!

My 2012 has actually been nothing but trouble since I bought it. I've had dozens of trips to the dealership due to DPF issues, had the rear locker pack it in (GM claims it is fine, but it was making bad noises and quit working, never has worked since), a transmission failure (stuck valve on one occasion and the TAPS system go totally wonky and made the truck shift extremely harsh on another) and lately the truck has been loosing coolant somewhere. I'm thinking of selling it once I get it back.

Has anyone else had such a rash of issues with their LML trucks? I like the truck, it's powerful, rides good and tows my gooseneck trailer like a dream, but it's just always got something going wrong with it...

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
So a dumb question......what is a grid heater?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow, does sound good at all. I too would be curious to know the cause and if this was a fluke or more widespread.

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
Russ, you seriously need a better dealer.
Every time you've taken that truck in, they have failed to fix or service it properly.
I'd like to know why it had power when the key was out.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Russ, you seriously need a better dealer.
Every time you've taken that truck in, they have failed to fix or service it properly.
I'd like to know why it had power when the key was out.
The heater is connected directly to the battery. I would have thought there would be a fuse of some sort between it and the battery, but given how hot and melted the supply wire was, it obviously doesn't. I suspect that the relay must have fused and got stuck on. It appears to be integrated with the heater. The plastic housing was so melted that when I grabbed the control wiring, it pulled right off the heater unit but the heater unit continued to burn. I then disconnected the batteries and used snow to put out the plastic parts which were on fire.

Fortunately, it doesn't appear that anything beyond the heater unit and the supply wire for it was damaged. The control wiring may need some repair as well, but it may have lucked out with me pulling it out of the fire before it got melted. There is a chance that the unit with the throttling blade in it may have been damaged as well, but I'll leave that up to GM to decide.

The sad thing is, Richard, that this poor service and quality of repairs isn't just one dealership. I've had the same trouble with the dealership here in McMurray, at two different dealerships in Edmonton and even the GMC dealership in Reno, NV. The service writers don't know the vehicles they are dealing with at all. You get a stunned deer in the headlights look when you talk to them about a specific part of my vehicle using the correct terminology. I literally had the service writer here at Alberta Motor Products question if the intake heater was an aftermarket accessory when I called in to let them know about my engine fire today!? I know I have an above average knowledge and understanding of the vehicle I drive, but I would expect that the service writers would know at least a little bit about the vehicles that come through their shop!

Probably my biggest complaint about the GM dealerships is their huge resistance to doing anything warantee related. My truck had a damn engine fire this morning, I could have lost my shop including all the tools, parts, vehicles and equipment inside of it if this had happened when I wasn't outside near my truck, and those retards had the gall to tell me that they had to have a look at my truck "sometime late this coming week, maybe Wednesday or Thursday" to determine if it is a warantee repair. Of course it's a warantee repair! My engine started on fire spontaneously!

The worst of it is that GM won't even provide me with a loaner vehicle to drive. It annoys me to no end that I felt the need to buy a second vehicle and keep it registered / insured as a backup to my Sierra because I can't trust it to be my only means of transportation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like a load of BS from your dealer. Is this the same dealer you bought the truck at? I have a few local dealers to choose from and settled on one that seemed to have half a clue and made sure I get a free loaner for repairs, regardless if they are warranty or not. Goes to show its tough getting good customer service these days. It seems the norm these days, doing a bit of homework and you will know more than the service writer or salesman. I'm sure there are good ones out there but hard to find.

·
Registered
95 Posts
At this point I would call/email GM if you haven't already. Tell them of all your problems and then to put the cherry on top tell them how you almost lost your business, etc, etc that you discussed earlier and tell them that this truck is now a safety concern! You have nothing to lose and maybe you will at least get a loaner but hopefully more!

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
I understand Russ. I've had better luck at the smaller dealers. Red Deer they were ignorant [email protected]@#$'s . In lacombe, they bent over backward and their prices wern't nuts. This isn't just a GM problem, the big 3 all have these issues. :(

·
Resident Gynecologist....
4,280 Posts
I think I would be taking some legal advice on this and get GM to buy the truck back at ALL COST.

Don't let gm fook with you.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
DAMN! They sure are giving you the run around :mad:

·
Registered
395 Posts
The grid heater does have a fuse. It's under the red plastic cover on the battery that supplies power to the grid heater.

Jay

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Yup, 250 amps IIRC.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I hope the goof balls don't try to start it with the damaged heater. might get hung up in the turbo.
I think it has 175 amp fuse and the faulted heater was not enough to take the fuse out.
I bet grid heaters and glow plugs get a real work out in that cold country this time of year. I been through Fort McMurray in the early fall, real nice that time of year.

As the DPF was doing a regen the grid heater decided to do it own regen. This just adds to your regen problems. :(

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got a call from the dealership and they are straight to playing their games.

Basically, I live in a very remote part of the province. I am 300 miles / 450km from the next major urban center with a decent dealership capable of performing this kind of work. That means this dealership has a lot of people by the short and curlies and as a result they charge a stupid shop rate of over 200/hr.

What they want me to do is give them permission to perform diagnostics on my truck to determine if this is a warantee issue or not. My truck is out of the bumper to bumper warantee but it is possible that the intake heater will be covered under the federal emissions warantee. The service advisor tells me that he is "80% sure" that it will be, but can't gaurantee it.

I absolutely REFUSE to pay up to 400 for someone to have a look at the burnt part and call me up to tell me that "yup, it's burnt, and nope, not warantee". I can do that myself without throwing away 400. That money would be much better spent on replacement parts to repair it myself.

So I called GM canada and entered a greivance with them. I told the dealership to sit on their hands until GM gets back to me and tells me if is covered under emissions or not. I don't want any part of this have to diagnose it first BS. They know exactly what their warantee covers, and I refuse to play this game with them.

We'll see where it goes from here I guess...

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think now would be good time to get GM involved and get them to replace your vehicle, especially now that you are concerned about your safety - what would have happened if this occurred when you were on a busy highway and it caught on fire and you couldn't pull over and traffic was whizzing by you on both sides......

Just let them know that you don't want to be a dick, but with all the unresolved problems and now this, you feel a new replacement vehicle is in order - and you like to do it without the need for you to supply your own attorney.

Hopefully they'll step up.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
you need to get GM Corprate involved,not cust service,and i think you need your ins company too,this truck is unsafe[remember we need to save the children] and you are afraid to drive it,,

·
Premium Member
17,862 Posts
The intake air heater (IAH) has an always live, 175amp fused, feed, and a constant ground. The relay/ control is built into the IAH, which is activated/ controlled via the glow plug controller module.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts