Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How on earth do I get my engine fan off???? I know it just threads into the water pump, but DAMN!!!!! Any tips or tricks....I already tried beating a wrench with a hammer....no dice. I can't keep the water pump pulley from spinning, and the belt is STILL ON!!!!

Any help greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
the pipe wrench and beat the end with a hammer with sharp blows usually works.........ive done it before.. but they do make a tool kit for removing it it harbor freight or northern tool carries them

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I took a 3/4 round steel bar, about 2 foot long, and placed one end on the flat of the nut and stuck it with a hammer... Rotated it a few times tapping as I went and it soon came off...

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spitz;1596019; said:
Get the 15$ tools for doing it right..
Yeah, hey thanks for that great info...:rolleyes:

Anyways, I got it off I just beat on the 16" crescent wrench a little harder with a bigger hammer, and one good crack knocked it loose.

Here's the carnage...

1) Belt riding on inner bearing race from idler pulley....belt never jumped.
2) Gutted bearing / pulley and broken fan
3) The front of a dual alternator truck with the fan and shroud removed....the parts guys at the dealer tried telling me that "according to my vin" there were only two idler pulleys under there. Looks like 3 to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
the proper way to get them off is they sell open wrenches that link onto a shaft attachment that goes into an air hammer and the blows from the air hammers turns the nut loose without the pully turning. and then once loose u just spin it off.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Wasted Income;1596290; said:
Yeah, hey thanks for that great info...:rolleyes:

Anyways, I got it off I just beat on the 16" crescent wrench a little harder with a bigger hammer, and one good crack knocked it loose.

Here's the carnage...

1) Belt riding on inner bearing race from idler pulley....belt never jumped.
2) Gutted bearing / pulley and broken fan
3) The front of a dual alternator truck with the fan and shroud removed....the parts guys at the dealer tried telling me that "according to my vin" there were only two idler pulleys under there. Looks like 3 to me.

Well what kind of response did you actually think you were going to get?? The proper tools work the best in these occasions.. Its not as if its a 150$ tool you'll use just once, its 15 bucks and cheap tools makers like lisle make them everyday and they work great..

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
y waste the money if you can get it off the old fashoned way though

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Spitz;1600878; said:
Well what kind of response did you actually think you were going to get?? The proper tools work the best in these occasions.. Its not as if its a 150$ tool you'll use just once, its 15 bucks and cheap tools makers like lisle make them everyday and they work great..
The carnage is from a bad idler bearing, not his efforts to remove the fan clutch...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Mike_S;1602111; said:
The carnage is from a bad idler bearing, not his efforts to remove the fan clutch...

Yea i realize that and never did i think that was just from trying to get the clutch off.. Im just saying the tool for doing it is not expensive and its easy to get..

·
Registered
174 Posts
rfilipovsky;1600554; said:
the proper way to get them off is they sell open wrenches that link onto a shaft attachment that goes into an air hammer and the blows from the air hammers turns the nut loose without the pully turning. and then once loose u just spin it off.
I have the complete setup it works great.:D :D It is the best thing since sliced bread....:eek: :) :) :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spitz;1600878; said:
What kind of response did I think I'd get?? Oh I don't know, maybe a link to said $15 tool, or a part # or something. I looked all over this god forsaken town for the "correct" tool that you claimed was so easy to find, and came up empty handed.

Brute force FTW. ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used a big crescent wrench on the fan nut and a 1/2" breaker bar on the idler tensioner, put a little tension on the idler to stop the belt from spinning and one tap on the crescent wrench with a hammer and it was loose.

·
Registered
336 Posts
more along the lines of 60 bucks and up compared to 15 for the dmax wrench, IIRC, I bought mine online a couple years ago

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spitz;1613220; said:
Just google fan clutch wrench.. Otc, kd, lisle all make them..
See that's the problem though. My brother is a GM tech at Broadway in Green Bay, and he sent me his fan clutch wrench....but it was TOO SMALL. Probably would've worked for a 5.3L, but the nut on the Dmax was WAY too big for the tool. Hell the pins that are supposed to go into the water pump pulley were not even close. So I guess you could say I had the "wrong" "right" tool.... :D

·
Native Texan
292 Posts
Spitz;1613220; said:
Just google fan clutch wrench.. Otc, kd, lisle all make them..
Since numb nutz wants you to google it and offers no help except wise azz comments here you go.

Lisle makes wrench sets for everything but a Duramax, their universal doesn't even come close. KD's is crap so don't waste your funds on it. OTC= nada zip no gottie.

Schley GM Fan Clutch Wrench #61500

Price:$61.90

The #61500 is used on the following applications: G.M. 6.5 Liter diesel engine starting in 2000, G.M. / Isuzu-Duramax 6.6 Liter diesel engine starting in 2001 thru 2006

You can pick one up at your Snap-on, Matco, Mac, Cornwell....etc. etc.

Or you can order one online thru Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Schley-GM-Fan-Clutch-Wrench/dp/B00063W88S

Hope this Helps

Regards, Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts