Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been posting on and off under the "turbo bucking" thread. But now that I really have a problem I am posting here to get better visibility. Thanks to all for reading this! I sincerely appreciate any iput on this topic.

Truck: 95 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD/King Cab, Long Bed 2WD

Engine: 6.5 Turbo HO

Trans: 4L80E

Rear: 4:10 Pos.

I had a major failure on the way to Nashville last week. The truck is up there now at A&M Turbo in Macon GA.

I was Pulling a car on a trailer. About 5,300 lbs. combined weight. It seemed to pull it very easy. I noticed some black smoke (on and off) all the way up to the point where it died. I pulled off at rest areas several times and diagnosed the wastegate solenoid as sticking. I pulled the line off at the wastegate (diaphram)........ No vacume. Then I would tap on the solenoid..... Then there was vacume. Intermitent problem. So I kept going. I noticed the truck working a little harder on the hills in GA. But not too bad. We pulled off to have lunch............. When we came out to start the truck....... Click...... Like a dead battery or weak starter (all just replaced and working perfectly along with alternator). When I finally got it started (it just started out of the blue) there was a large puff of white smoke out the tailpipe. As we pulled back on to the interstate I noticed reduced power with no black smoke. On hard acceleration there seemed to be some blue smoke? But not too bad.......... No hint of anything getting hot here either. All gauges were indicating normal operation. So........... I pulled off again in Perry GA. I walk in the store to get a drink and come back outside................. Whoaaaaaa!!!! There was lots of white smoke coming out of the tailpipe.......... Like a steam engine? Once again all gauges indicating normal operation. The truck never got hot once. Right up to where I finally turned it off and had it towed to a dealer.

Anyway.......... The dealer in Perry wanted to install a new engine (go figure!) at the bargain price of $8,900.00. So with some help from the folks at home (Florida) we found what seemed to be a pretty good diesel shop in Macon. The current diagnosis from this shop is a faulty starter..... and a blown head gasket. At this shops recommendation I am having him remove the heads to check the pistons, rings and cylinder walls for damage as well as any possible damage to the heads. They say if the bottom end looks good and the heads are not cracked....... All that is required is a pressure test on the heads to prove they are worthy of going back on and new gaskets.

I am curious as to what the people of this forum think about all of this. Any input is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

IRONY.......... I was pulling a 1966 Ford Mustang to the 40th anniversary Mustang show at the Nashville motor speedway? I guess the truck just couldnt handle pulling a Ford? Or just did not like it?

AJEdited by: pinehead

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hey if your in GA you might want to check out Diesel Depot in Sandersville GA. They do almost eclusive 6.2 & 6.5 Diesels and their prices seem fair. Tanker a couple of years ago got a nice remaned engine with a number of upgrades for about $4,000. I have no relationship too them just an Idea.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I think you need to look at the heads when they come off and verify that they are or are not cracked. Other than that, unless you over heated the block and warped or fried the engine or just want new heads/longblock, I say just put it back together and see what fresh head gaskets will do.

If the heads are cracked they can be reforged. I think diesel automotive services does this. You can call around to truck salvage yards till you find a set at a fair price. I would definitly stay on top of what's what even if by phone.Edited by: quantum mechanic

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!!

If I am late replying occasionally...... I apologize........ I stay pretty busy ( General Contractor ).

I am just becoming aware of the head problem with these engines. I still have not heard back from the mechanic so I assume all is still going well. I will call tomorrow to be sure.

If the engine did not get hot......... What are the chances of the heads being cracked? Are the cracks from age, vibration and normal wear and tear? Or as a direct result from a temperature spike? This is a fairly high mileage engine............ It has the older cooling system......... But has never been hot (to my knowledge) and has never pulled very much (heavy). The truck did come with every available heavy duty option to my knowledge.

I just dont want to be caught with my pants down (so to speak) when I talk to the mechanic...........

Thanks again!

AJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts