Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the newer style engine cover ("Turbo Power") like what is on the '97 up maybe fit my '95 engine? It seems like that shorter one like the newer models would fit much better. Mine tears firewall insulation off every time I put it back on and it also covers the fuel filter. I guess I could just trim mine so it does the job better.

I know the older ones on the mechanical engines had the cables coming out, but are there differences on the electronic pump versions?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I have a 1996 & 2000 covers,both the same.

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,410 Posts
IIRC, late 96 to 2000 are the same, the alternator and AC compressor are reversed than that of 94-95 may be early 96. Therefore, 94 to early 96 are the same.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Why would you want it on there? Pia every time you need to do anything to the engine. Also holds in more heat. I have 4 or 5 of them laying around waiting to go in the trash.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why would you want it on there? Pia every time you need to do anything to the engine. Also holds in more heat. I have 4 or 5 of them laying around waiting to go in the trash.
Do you have any of the newer style?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I took mine off and left it off, pain in the but when you need to do a fuel filter change.... I imagine that it would hold more heat around the ip installed. I don't even think it would fit back on with the boost guage fitting in place.

·
Registered
67 Posts
bk95td -

Rather than binning it, if you have a cover in good condition that would fit my '95 I would be interested in it. I've never actually seen one before.

Send me a PM to discuss terms if you want to proceed.

·
Registered
637 Posts
There are two on e-bay and they don't look alike. Search for-- 6.5 turbo cover.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wonder which one is which then? The first listing seems to have a cut-out for the turbo manifold casting, the second is a completely different shape. Both are claimed to fit from '92 to 2000. Confusing!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I prefer the finished look with it in place, to without, myself. When I put on my intercooler, I'll also try to incorporate it somehow.

Someone did a test a while back and found no increase in heat, whether with or without the cover. If I remember right, he had a heat probe in several different places throughout the testing phase.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,410 Posts
Why do you want it? Most of us have already taken it off. It does not allow the heat to get out.

Anyway, in my 95, I used the one in IA. The one WITHOUT the round hole on the left.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The main reason I want one is that my truck originally would have had one but it was missing when when I bought it. It would just finish off the engine compartment. My enthusiasm has its limits, though, and I'm not prepared to pay big bucks for one.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
IIRC, late 96 to 2000 are the same, the alternator and AC compressor are reversed than that of 94-95 may be early 96. Therefore, 94 to early 96 are the same.
My truck is an early 96 (ordered end of january 96, and has the single thermostat, later 96's have 2 t-stats) and has the late turbo power cover.

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
I never liked the earlier ones, the engine looks better with them off IMO, but since my 98 came without it, the newer style covers look 10X better.

I still won't put one back on though, I'll go for function over purdy anyday. :D

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I think it looks better with it :D Mine is off right now, but only because i just haven't put it back on yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.