Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just experimented with a cooling system flush (radiator included) using Cascade dishwasher detergent powder. I read about some using that on another board so I gave it a try. Worked better than anything else I've ever used. Oil and rust residue are gone. Hoses are no longer slimy inside and the radiator innards shine like a new penny. No foaming or sudsing during the flush at all.

On a cold engine I drained the coolant, removed the thermostat, added one cup of Cascade mixed in a quart of water and topped off the system with water. Then I ran the engine for about 2 minutes and flushed with fresh water. I repeated that three times, finishing up with an open system fresh water backflush for about 5 minutes and then topped off with plain water.

I'm going to run it up to operating temp a few times and flush it one more time before going back to coolant. But I'm really impressed with how well Cascade does as cooling system detergent. ~FH

·
Registered
241 Posts
You posted this just in time, I'm going to be flushing mine this weekend and replacing the thermostat. Thank you for this info

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I suggest for the final fill-- use distilled water-- only about a dollar a gallon from Walmart. Some drinking water can damage the cooling system over time.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suggest for the final fill-- use distilled water-- only about a dollar a gallon from Walmart. Some drinking water can damage the cooling system over time.
I'm familiar with the additional crap in tap water. I'm just running it for a day or two to make sure I have all the other crap and any residual detergent flushed out before I go back to coolant. ~FH

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,163 Posts
I'm familiar with the additional crap in tap water. I'm just running it for a day or two to make sure I have all the other crap and any residual detergent flushed out before I go back to coolant. ~FH
Thanks for the tip on that.I'll definately try that when I do the next flush.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I have used cascade many times. It works great. Does no harm. X2 on the distilled water.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello all,

I realize this thread is over a year old, but had a few questions on it. Couldn't see making an entirely new thread for a few clarifications :D.

Do you guys run the Cascade mix, drain and flush, then repeat the entire procedure 3 times? Or only 1 Cascade mix, then clean water 3 times?

Have also read on other forums that some run for 30+ minutes with the soap mix in. Still recommending to run only to temp, or longer?

Hoping to do this before winter, along with thermostats of course. Will definitely buy the Delco thermostats, some places list 3 different temp Delco units though :(...

Thanks guys,

Joe

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only do the detergent mix 1 time, followed by multiple flushes. Make certain you have the thermostat removed for flushing, heater controls on full hot and get the engine to operating temperature. ~FH

·
Registered
903 Posts
Hello all,

I realize this thread is over a year old, but had a few questions on it. Couldn't see making an entirely new thread for a few clarifications :D.

Do you guys run the Cascade mix, drain and flush, then repeat the entire procedure 3 times? Or only 1 Cascade mix, then clean water 3 times?

Have also read on other forums that some run for 30+ minutes with the soap mix in. Still recommending to run only to temp, or longer?

Hoping to do this before winter, along with thermostats of course. Will definitely buy the Delco thermostats, some places list 3 different temp Delco units though :(...

Thanks guys,

Joe
Joe,
I run the 195F thermostat. It sure is nice in the winter. I haven't had any overheating issues in the summer either but I'm not towing heavy. Do a search, lots of people have weighed in with their opinions.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Hoping to do this in the next couple of weeks :).

As for what temp thermostat, not sure how many the dealer actually sells. Was looking briefly online, and as I said before, know better than to buy one that's not OEM. Was surprised to see different temp (and quality grade) from Delco though. Think I'll just go with what the dealer stocks...

Not sure what temp is in there now, she always runs on the second bold line (1/4 gauge)

In the searching I did do, seems most agree that the 6.5 is more powerful and smoother with the hotter (195° unit). I don't do much towing at all, hauling coal twice each winter is the heaviest workout she usually gets. Think I left the [email protected] 15,200 last haul :D

Thanks again guys,

Joe

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,720 Posts
RockAuto is about the one that have Delco T-stat other than stealership.
Or you can call local part store to see if they can get it for you.

If I am not mistaken, you need 2.
Just get the 190-195F t-stat.
Diesel like it hot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts