Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 crew cab 4x4 Kodiak 4500. I've been trying to figure out if it is reasonable to activate the variable vane turbo as an exhaust brake, and how much work that entails. I see that Banks makes a module, but it looks like it is not for the Kodiak trucks just the pickup trucks.

Does anyone know what all is involved? I have search the forums here and found a couple old threads but I didn't see a concise answer on what you have to do. Maybe because there isn't one?

·
Registered
962 Posts
the 2006 has an exhaust brake switch on the dash, located to the right of the radio. It has a picture of "wind blowing" on it. This activates the vgt exhaust brake circuit. The exhaust brake activates when the accelerator is released, and deactivates when the accelerator is depressed. There is an indicator light with the same symbol which comes on when acitivated, it is located on the next to the glow plug light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
4x4 didn't come with the switch, but the connector is there, just buy the switch off of eBay , plug it in and it works good ( plug and play) , I extended the wires and moved it next to OD off switch, so I don't have to look and reach to turn it on .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's awesome! Now I just need to find the switch... I have done a few quick searches on eBay but I guess I don't really know what to call it exactly. So far nothing I tried has come up with anything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So, under what conditions or circumstances would you guys use the exhaust brake? Down a long descent? In stop and go traffic? I tried it once (by accident!) and while it definitely worked, it seemed to really tax the engine. I just wonder if you're saving brake wear at the expense of the engine/turbo?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can go down Black Mtn , and Saluda grade ( in Asheville NC , with out ever hitting my brakes , I don't use it in traffic It works too good , it builds exhaust back pressure via the turbo vanes vs an actual exhaust brake valve unless the engine is overspeeded or too much pressure is built up making the valves float but I think the ecm will try to protect engine for both instances.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I turned on mine about 6 years ago, and have never turned it off. It helps save the brakes and I dont think it hurts the engine at all. It usually only brings the turbo up to about 10 psi on big grades and less around town.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts