Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a new 2004 silverado 3500 chassis cab. it is a 4 x 4 extended cab with locking differential with the lly duramax. i had a new dump bed put on the back and have been hauling 5 tons on a regular basis now and love the truck, the engine and the transmission(i have the manual six speed) i am trying to find an engine brake/jake brake to add on to the engine but am having some difficulty......anybody know where i can find that part??

·
Registered
349 Posts
Uh oh! There goes another warranty!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I do not believe you will ever find a true engine/jake brake for our engines. There are plenty of exhaust brakes which should serve your purpose well. A true engine brake would require a slave cylinder under the valves cover to open the exhaust valves before combustion takes place. This would no be a bolt-on procedure, sorry.

Jason

Cumberland, MD eh?? I know a few guys out in that area. My company built the warrior run plant. I was an engineer on that job.Edited by: Forced Induction

·
Registered
653 Posts
I've been looking too. So far no one has one completed for the variable vane turbo. I had a BD on the '01 but I'm looking at the Banks this time. The unit they have for the Ford is reorted to work very well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
didn't somone on this board melt their valves using an exhaust brake???

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I think the jury is still out on what exactly caused the melt down you're referring to, it was a member who's Dad fried a Dmax and it had an exhaust brake. I've not seen a post about what the final determination of the cause was, but GM was saying no warranty because of the exhaust brake....

·
Registered
653 Posts
Has anyone heard of any news regarding an exhaust brake for the LLY?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts